Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Trick to Flywheel Removal? Pistion Removal???? (Pics Added)

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#26 Snowman

Snowman

Midnight Passenger

• Members
  • 3,538 posts
  • Haines

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:17 PM

How does the oil not get all over the flywheel and clutch and everything else?

#27 BobBrumby

BobBrumby

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 583 posts
  • Brisbane, Australia

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:44 PM

like the not flywheel side of the flywheel housing is the back end part of the crankcase. i think i have come to understand that ea82's and ej's have their gudgeon plugs in the flywheel housing. so for an ea81 you take off the housing instead of taking out the other 2 plugs in the housing for ea82/ej.

#28 555Ron

555Ron

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Newcastle, Aus

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:52 AM

Is there any trick to getting the gudgeon pins out? Couldn't see any in this thread. Mine are being very stubborn. I have removed the front pins out of pistons one and 3 and can't get either to move. I stuck a pair of long nose pliers up the center and pushed them apart to try and grip it but they don't want to budge. Sprayed heap of lubricant in there too. This whole motor has been mighty stubborn!

#29 555Ron

555Ron

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Newcastle, Aus

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:46 AM

A bit of googling and i found Subaru make a special tool to do it but it's uber expensive. I ended up bending the tip of a long flat blade screwdriver 90 degrees and with a lot of prying got #1 and #3 out. Hopefully i'll get #2 and #4 out tomorrow and split the block...

#30 adaboo

adaboo

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Wasilla

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:08 AM

The easiest way to remove bolt from pully on crank was put a wrench on the bolt then ran a little chain thru the tow hook on drivers side and around the back side of bolt and then just bumped the starter, done. peace out.:headbang:

#31 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:28 AM

Is there any trick to getting the gudgeon pins out? Couldn't see any in this thread. Mine are being very stubborn. I have removed the front pins out of pistons one and 3 and can't get either to move. I stuck a pair of long nose pliers up the center and pushed them apart to try and grip it but they don't want to budge. Sprayed heap of lubricant in there too. This whole motor has been mighty stubborn!

I used a slide hammer with a hook like attachment on the end to pull the gudgeon pins out. The clips that hold them in were removed with long nosed pliers from memory.

Cheers

Bennie

#32 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

Also - an old thread to dig up to ask this question...

Bennie

#33 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • North ID

Posted 02 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Interesting. What are those gudgeon plugs for? 'cause my motor doesnt have them :lol:

Posted Image

#34 555Ron

555Ron

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • Newcastle, Aus

Posted 02 April 2011 - 06:23 PM

Idasho - they're the UK/Aus term for wrist pins. I have them all out now thanks.

#35 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 968 posts
  • North ID

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:30 PM

Ah, that makes more sense.

I heard the term PLUG, and assumed it was plugging that opening in the case.

Carry on :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users