Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trick to Flywheel Removal? Pistion Removal???? (Pics Added)

like the not flywheel side of the flywheel housing is the back end part of the crankcase. i think i have come to understand that ea82's and ej's have their gudgeon plugs in the flywheel housing. so for an ea81 you take off the housing instead of taking out the other 2 plugs in the housing for ea82/ej.

• 6 years later...

Is there any trick to getting the gudgeon pins out? Couldn't see any in this thread. Mine are being very stubborn. I have removed the front pins out of pistons one and 3 and can't get either to move. I stuck a pair of long nose pliers up the center and pushed them apart to try and grip it but they don't want to budge. Sprayed heap of lubricant in there too. This whole motor has been mighty stubborn!

A bit of googling and i found Subaru make a special tool to do it but it's uber expensive. I ended up bending the tip of a long flat blade screwdriver 90 degrees and with a lot of prying got #1 and #3 out. Hopefully i'll get #2 and #4 out tomorrow and split the block...

The easiest way to remove bolt from pully on crank was put a wrench on the bolt then ran a little chain thru the tow hook on drivers side and around the back side of bolt and then just bumped the starter, done. peace out.:headbang:

Is there any trick to getting the gudgeon pins out? Couldn't see any in this thread. Mine are being very stubborn. I have removed the front pins out of pistons one and 3 and can't get either to move. I stuck a pair of long nose pliers up the center and pushed them apart to try and grip it but they don't want to budge. Sprayed heap of lubricant in there too. This whole motor has been mighty stubborn!

I used a slide hammer with a hook like attachment on the end to pull the gudgeon pins out. The clips that hold them in were removed with long nosed pliers from memory.

Cheers

Bennie