Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy Automatic Gerabox broblem

Hi to all, this is my first post on a Forum of any type. Happy New Year to All.

I have a 1993 2.2 AWD Automatic Legacy that to me feels like the gearbox is not engaging 2nd and probably not engaging 4th either. What happens is that if you take off (the gear leaver left in the Green D position) the car will take off normally and rev up to 3500 or more before the gear box automatically changes gear, as soon as the gear changes you feel a heavy thump, the change is not smoth al all. Then the revs go down to below 2000 rpm and car does not feel as agile if you accelerate, I´m probably doing 40KM/H and feels like 3rd or 4th was engage (like a lag). After this the car feels smooth and if I´m crusing around 70Km/H the car is reving about 2000 rpm.

Can anyone tell me if what I´ve tried to describe is a mayor gerabox problem and a nusty bill to repair, or something simple that I can take on to fix this issue.

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,

Luis.

Thank you for the reply Legacy777,

I just bought the car and it´s realy my first Subaru that I´ve owned, nice car and it will be a better car once I fix this issue. The owner told me he had chnaged the oil recently, do not know how true that is.

If I replace the OIL for the automatic gearbox, is there an oil filter as well that needs chnaging?, can I do this job my self? or do I need to take it to Subaru? I would love to do it my self as the dealears around here charge what they feel like.

I printed the instructions, As I´m new, where is the exact location for the Brake Band adjustment? It seems like it´s internal to the gearbox adjustment. I apologise for the question if it seems dump icon7.gif

Thank you,

Luis.

You can change the transmission fluid your self. It's pretty straight forward. The dipstick for the AT fluid is on the driver's side of the transmission. There's another dipstick on the passenger side. That's the differential fluid.

When you change the AT fluid you have to refill the fluid through the AT dipstick hole. There's no filter that needs to be changed.

There is an adjustment for the brake band on the top of the transmission on the driver's side. It's a real pain to try and get at.

You can see the bolt on the top of the transmission in this pic

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/swap/09/DCP_3217.JPG

sounds like metal filings circulating around and jamming the shuttle valves inside the gearbox...there is a screen filter inside the gearbox..virtually useless!

suggest you install a standard subaru gt FUEL filter on the return line for the trans oilcooler...thats the pipe that returns to the rear of the gear box on the right hand side of the box...also stick a magnet on the outside of the filter......more than likly this will clear your problem......if not sorry to say your gearbox is #@$!!.....good luck..it has worked for me..now i run a filter all the time

sounds like metal filings circulating around and jamming the shuttle valves inside the gearbox...there is a screen filter inside the gearbox..virtually useless!

suggest you install a standard subaru gt FUEL filter on the return line for the trans oilcooler...thats the pipe that returns to the rear of the gear box on the right hand side of the box...also stick a magnet on the outside of the filter......more than likly this will clear your problem......if not sorry to say your gearbox is #@$!!.....good luck..it has worked for me..now i run a filter all the time

Hi All,

Thanks Legacy777, I´ve found the adjustment screw and followed the instructions. I almost did a full turn clock wise as per instruction. Outcome is the 2nd engages now with a small thump, all other gears you can hardly feel the gear change, should I continue adjusting this? I do not believe that this adjustment has ever been done on this car.

Boilerman, I´m in Chile so I´m not sure if I can buy this filter that you mentioned, is it something I can purchase from Subaru otherwise I will just change the fluid and hope for the best..

Once more thank you to all, the information supplied to me by all has save me time and money and above this a satisfaction of driving a very nice car...I´m really happy with my first Subaru....

Regards,

Luis

You can try adjusting it a little more I guess. But if you go too much in either way, it won't feel right. It's up to you, and how much you want to play with adjusting it.

You don't need to worry about the internal metal screen. It's meant to stop the big particles/chunks. If you have big particles that are trapped by the screen, there's more then likely other issues. Either way, you can remove the screen and clean it with kerosene or mineral spirits