Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Slegacy96,

Maybe you should live with the leak. How many miles are on the car? How many more years are you likely to drive it? How serious is the leak? Are oil stains a real concern in the area where you park the car? You may find when you add it all up, that the cost of topping up the oil from time to time doesn't come close to what it will cost to pull parts and reseal everything. But, then again, that's a question only you can answer.

Slegacy96,

Maybe you should live with the leak. How many miles are on the car? How many more years are you likely to drive it? How serious is the leak? Are oil stains a real concern in the area where you park the car? You may find when you add it all up, that the cost of topping up the oil from time to time doesn't come close to what it will cost to pull parts and reseal everything. But, then again, that's a question only you can answer. My 90 Nissan 300ZX leaks a silver dollar's worth of oil every so often. For the $600 I've been quoted to fix it, on a car that I drive maybe 2500 km a year, I've decided to live with the little annoyance.

Where it is exactly leaking from, I dont know. Its dripping at three different locations all on the driver's side. So I decided to take a look and found that my undercarriage was covered in oil. Everything from the Axle to wheel.

And I calculated that its losing 1/4 of a quart of oil each day.

I only have 70,000 miles and I plan to keep the car for another 5 years, So letting it go isnt really and option Id say.

My dad's Aurora had oil leak and was quoted a $2000 repair. Being that the Legacy has a smaller engine, Id assume it wouldnt cost that much.

......And since I dont have enough problems, bolt fell off a truck passing me and cracked my windshield. Maybe 2005 will bring me better luck

Took my 93 into the stealer for 1 of those freebee look overs... They found LOTS of things leaking, came back with $1100.00 to fix it all. Labor alone was over $900 and change. Here's the best part, I'm not losing any oil between changes. I check the oil at every gas up... Now I am starting to smell a little oil burn when I let it idle to warm up, but still no loss noted...

If you're losing that much and only have 70K, I'd have it looked at... Still alot of life left in it...

Where it is exactly leaking from, I dont know. Its dripping at three different locations all on the driver's side. So I decided to take a look and found that my undercarriage was covered in oil. Everything from the Axle to wheel.

And I calculated that its losing 1/4 of a quart of oil each day.

I only have 70,000 miles and I plan to keep the car for another 5 years, So letting it go isnt really and option Id say.

My dad's Aurora had oil leak and was quoted a $2000 repair. Being that the Legacy has a smaller engine, Id assume it wouldnt cost that much.

......And since I dont have enough problems, bolt fell off a truck passing me and cracked my windshield. Maybe 2005 will bring me better luck

It is either a or a combination of the following.

Cam seals, oil pump seal, crank seals.

These should all be replaced when you get a timing belt done. If you have 70k you are do for a timing belt anyway.

I know most shops here in my town are $650 for timing belts, new cam, oil pump & crank seals, and new water pump.