Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Folks,

I'm a new member of this club and a new owner of a new Subaru Outback. I have what I hope is a simple question and an even more simple answer from one of you. Is it possible to disengage the seat bell chime? I don't want to hear it when I'm warming up the car, or when I'm pulled over somewhere and I'm on the phone.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jmarsden64

Hi Folks,

I'm a new member of this club and a new owner of a new Subaru Outback. I have what I hope is a simple question and an even more simple answer from one of you. Is it possible to disengage the seat bell chime? I don't want to hear it when I'm warming up the car, or when I'm pulled over somewhere and I'm on the phone.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jmarsden64

i think if i were you i would go to the pull yard with a pair of sharp scissors or a knife.

cut the seat belt and take the insert with you to throw in there when your not wearing yours.

dont know if this is easier? but this way prevents you from making any real changes to your cars electronics.

good luck and remember seat belts save lifes! and if you got air bags they can kick the @#*! out of ya without a belt on!

Use the "Search" function above and you should find the following writeup.

Turn the ignition key to on but DO NOT start the car.

Now buckle and unbuckle the drivers seatbelt about ten or fifteen times QUICKLY and then turn the ignition key to off. Now turn the key on and start the car as normal. If you were successful as I was on my 05 OB, the chime will chime 5 times when you first turn the key to on and then stop. It will also disable the seatbelt warning for the passenger seat.

I was at my wits end to disable my overspeed alarm, 120KM/hr+, on my foreign '98 OBW and pulled out the speedo/tach display thinking it was in there. There's a small box with a +/- 1 inch round hole that houses a small speaker. There's a flexible, flat, paper type wiring that needs to be pulled out, split the 2 "wires" that contact the speaker and you're in business. I discovered all this by mistake of course. That speaker was for the door ajar, etc. warning! The overspeed speaker is a small black box under the steering column with a similar round opening. 30 seconds to remove the wire to that one!

The real solution, if I am clear on your original inquiry, will be the Subaru of America technique I mentioned above. It works, requires no special tools (knife) and doesn't require a trip to the salvage yard to buy an extra buckle. I hope your intention is still to wear a seatbelt when actually driving as I don't particularly feel like seeing your body ejected in an accident and flying towards me.