Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Swap, a tale of Woe, Ignorance and Rank Stupidity!

Hi, first time I've had a chance to post here. Wish it was under better circumstances! I've got a 96 Legacy, 2.2 engine, 175,000 miles

To start with, Daughter's BF got the urge to change the oil in it (without my knowledge)- about 5 miles from the house the car locks up- he forgot to put the Oil filter on! ArrrrgH!!!!!!

So I decide it would probably be best to replace the engine- find a 95 EJ22 out of wrecked Impreza with 100,000 miles. Not worried about the differences in the exhaust ports (I'm owner of a muffler shop)- I decide to stick it in "as is". Everything goes together just fine, no problems- all the engine wiring, etc is the same- just had to change a couple of the mounting brackets, etc. In fact, I told my help I was amazed at how easy it was......... Famous last words.

About this time I put my stupid hat on. While hooking up the lower Radiator hose, I decided to drain the oil out of it, and put new oil in. Change the filter, etc- let the car back down- start to add water- Holler at one of my help to start it up- don't want to cause a airlock in the cooling system..... Starts right up- hmmmm, need to figure out whats up with the idle- about 1500 rpm- but I start to add the water when I hear the sound of a timing belt strip and the engine dies. Sure enough- egine turns over - but the cams don't. WTF? About that time I notice the 5 qts of oil still sitting on the floor....

After several minutes of cursing my self in several languages- I decide to at least see where the damage is- pull the front covers off, yeppers, the belt is stripped... The Crank is feeling Ok.....the Drivers side cam is feeling ok...Passenger side- uggggh- it turns, but doesn't feel at all right- in fact, it feels bad! In total disgust with myself, I through down my tools and stomp out of the shop

Next day, I prepare to start pulling that engine, still feeling sick to my stomach when my Dad happened by- he suggested it would hurt anything for me to try turning over that cam a few times- sometimes it will loosen up and be all right. I figure- Why not? can't really hurt anything. After giving it about 5 turns- it has loosened up considerably- so I decide to try putting a new timing belt on it. Found out about lining the shafts up iwth the Dots and lines, NP- heck of ingenious deal for Subaru IMO. GEt everything back assembled- turn it over by hand quite a few times- everything feels OK- feels like all four cylinders have Compression, Oil comes out of the heads, seems like it has oil pressure, I'm starting to feel pretty good again......

Put the Valve covers back on- put it all back together- Engines turns over, but won't start- It acts like it hits on a couple of the Cylinders, bu is also backfiring, and not sounding good at all- won't run.

I've double checked everything I can think of- any suggestions?

Recheck your timing marks . I'll bet the one on the crank isn't lined up

Look for the mark on the reluctor of the crank gear and line it up on the notch that is just off centre of the crank sensor

Whether the cam doesn't "SQUEEK" again I guess you are going to find out and hopefull the bottom end is going to be OK

SEA#3

OK- Maybe I'm confused- when I installed the belt- I lined it up with the mark on the gear- a triangle shape. Should I have lined it up with the mark on the "reluctor" portion? Considering that its about 90 degrees out- have to wonder why I have compression

Just a update:

Didn't have much time to deal with it today- but did have enough time to Re-install the Timing belt- this time lining it up with the mark on the "reluctor"- it started right up!

Now, running it for about 20 seconds with the exhaust off isn't a good indicator of long term health, or other problems, but the fact that it started at all made me feel considerably better

Ddad

I hope you will resolve all the problems. BTW, where did you get that engine from? I am trying to locate a transmission for the same car. Also you mentioned you own a exhaust shop, where is it located at? I indeed need some exhaust work, any discount for board member? I am in St. Charles.

Thanks

Glad to hear you got it running-when first read post was tempted to ask where you buried the boyfriend(just kidding).

Certainly would look at Legacy777's page for instructions on re-learning the ECU at start up if had not done so already in documentation you have.

Spent 1972-1984 in Missouri, still make it back couple times a year. Got my degree in Rolla, also where I convinced my older brother to buy the first Subaru I ever drove (a 77? 2 door) in 81 or so. I always wanted a Sub 4wd wagon to handle the winters on backroads up there, but wasnt able to get one till atfer I moved to Texas and picked my 80 up in 88. After I drove it in snow and ice I REALLY kicked myself for not having picked one up.......

Good luck