Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Source for Heat Control Back Lights

Imdew,

I did a replace on all of the bulbs on a 97 OBW years ago, and recently just the illumination bulb for one of the seat heater switches on my 02 OBW. Anyway, I believe that they both take a very tiny micro bulb available at Radio Shack. The bulbs have 2 long pigtail wire ends and a pair were $2.99 CDN just 3 weeks or so ago. The AC/Heater bulbs have a tiny blue rubber condom that you can take off the old bulbs and slip over the new ones. The best thing to do is take the system apart to get to the bulbs. After they're out, you will see how many to buy. As I recall, they are just a small plastic bulb socket that the bulb pigtail wires are wound through and cut off. Just unwind the old bulb pigtail, and wind on a new one, replacing any condoms that are needed. A quarter turn removes the socket from the AC/Heater light assembly board. If you buy them from Subaru, you'll pay for the plastic bulb socket as well, and some are shorter than others, but they all use that same micro bulb I referred to. It really is intuitive to do, if you have the time and patience. Good luck!