Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GTech Pro comparison post

Hey guys,

Huck at the XT6.net was posting about that older modelled GTech Pro and got some of us wanting to get one ourselves. I missed mine ever since it was stolen. Since the units are so cheap now, I decided to order a new one off of Ebay for $36.90 *shipping included*. I ordered mine on Dec 28th and got it Dec 31th. :eek: SERVICE!

Anyways, I know some of you may have yours but haven't posted your results and such. I plan on posting results and the corresponding mods I have with those results. If any of you have one, can you please post your results and such to this thread.

We do not need to discuss the accuracy of the GTech Pro unit vs the drag strip. The purpose of this thread is so that some of us can compare before and after mods to show how effective they are. That is what I plan on showing. We can also compare to each other.

At some point I'll be testing both XT6s, the RX turbo and perhaps the Impreza. Here are the weights I'll be using on the GTech Pro unit.

Me = 205lbs

1989 FWD/Auto XT6 = 2800lbs (Weighed on truck scale)

1989 AWD/Auto XT6 = 2975lbs

From here: http://www.cars101.com/oldsubaru.html#1991%20XT

1988 FTWD/Manual RX Turbo = 2640lbs

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23028&highlight=Curb+Weights

I will be entering the weight of the car plus my weight as a total in the GTech Pro unit.

Again, if you've alredy tested some runs or plan to, please post up your results. Thanks! That's all for now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7944243430&category=46100

Im seeing these on eBay, and was wondering if this is what you got? If that is a reliable unit, I'd definately pick one of them up for myself. Any opinions of these would be cool. The dragstrip doesnt open until May, so I gotta have something to play around with.

Thats cool, let me know how it works.
It's a really simple device. I had it before so I'm familiar with it. Mine did not come with instructions. There is one button on it that you switch it to turn the unit on. Once on, you pick either Accel or G-Force (or whatever the unit that measures G's in a turning circle) by pushing the button in when 'Accel' flashes. The unit has a negative and positive number showing. You zero it out while it's attached to your front windshield via a suction. You simply lift it up or push the unit downward to level it out. Once levelled, you push the button in an a 'Go' will light up. You floor your car and a 0-60 second time will flash up. Hope someone is with you because that's the only time you'll see it. Once you get to a 1/4 mile mark, it'll continue flashing your 1/4 mile time and trap speed until you reset it and start over again. Simple!

Only had a chance to do two runs today, one in each direction. I should've waited to late night to do it but I had a little free time so.

I simply mashed the gas pedal after the G-Tech said go. I did this on a highway, once in both directions. Here are my runs and the average.

Average:

16.79 @ 87.5mph

16.99 @ 85mph

Average: 16.89 @ 86.25mph

At least I have a baseline of sorts even though I don't plan doing much else with this car. This is what we all say though right? :P

Car: 1989 2.7ltr Subaru XT6 (FWD/Autotranny)

Mods: Custom Cobb intake, modified header, 2.5" cat, 2.5" exhaust, Unorthodox Racing crank pulley, Delta Cams, Advanced timing (25-26 degrees), Grounding wires, modified valve body, Protorque torque converter

I won't be doing any hard torque converter launches until I get the car dyno'd and tuned for a 13.0:1 (or 13.25:1) air/fuel ratio (which I'm believing should be the best). This way, us auto folks will know just how affective a modified torque converter can be. I have a dyno appointment tomorrow at 10:30a.m for this XT6. Wish me luck! :wink:

BTW: My header which, which has bigger diameter tubing and my 2.5" exhaust is KILLING my times. This'll be fixed in the future.

Sweet, Good score! I ordered one today. Just the toy I've been needing!!! (actually I'd like the top of the line model but....)

Yes, it is dated technology but for $36 ish shipped, who cares?

I'll let you know what kind of #'s I pull...

garner

More GTech runs done tonight.

Car: 1989 2.7ltr Subaru XT6 (AWD/Autotranny)

Mods: Intake, Pulley, 2.25" cat back Exhaust

I did a total of 4 runs. 2 in one direction and two in the other direction.

South Direction

0-60: 7.87

1/4 mile: 16.15 @ 90.3mph

0-60: 7.94

1/4 mile: 16.21 @ 88.3mph

North Direction

0-60: ? (I'm an idiot)

1/4 mile: 16.14 @ 88.5mph

0-60: 7.87

1/4 mile: 16.14 @ 88.9mph

Average:

0-60mph: 7.89

1/4 Mile: 16.16 @ 89mph

I'm interested to see the calculated HP it gives you and compare that to your dyno runs (on the RX), or do the old Gtech's not do that calc? I will be getting me one of these as well to make some comparisons, I need to find a decent set of scales in my area to use.

Shadow, give me an hour or two tonight. I'm working on that right after this post. I'll be posting before and after intercooler installation 0-60 and 1/4 mile results. Pay mind mostly to the 1/4 mile trap speed. I don't know how to launch a manual RX just yet. I'm learning! I can do consistent slow launches though. :grin: Be back with some numbers later tonight. :drunk:

Car: 1988 1.8ltr RX Turbo (Manual/FT4WD)

Mods: K&N open-air air filter, Garner Pulley

Did 4 runs to compare before and after intercooler results, in both directions.

South Direction

0-60: 14.06

1/4 mile: 20.15 @ 72.6mph

0-60: 13.16

1/4 mile: 19.53 @ 77.2mph

North Direction

0-60: 13.99

1/4 mile: 20.09 @ 76.3mph

0-60: 14.22

1/4 mile: 20.26 @ 76.3mph

Average

0-60: 13.86

1/4 mile: 20.00 @ 75.6mph

*Stay Tuned for the intercooler runs in 1-2 hours*

Mods: K&N open-air air filter, Garner Pulley, Intercooler

South Direction

0-60: 12.92

1/4 mile: 19.35 @ 78.1mph

0-60: 13.26

1/4 mile: 19.48 @ 77.6mph

North Direction

0-60: 14.56

1/4 mile: 20.30 @ 75.2mph

0-60: 13.29

1/4 mile: 19.51 @ 75.3mph

Average

0-60: 13.50

1/4 mile: 19.66 @ 76.6mph

whats wrong with your RX? my non turbo xt FWD auto ran that with a dead cyl..
I dunno what to tell you. I'm not a good driver of manual trannied cars so blame me. Everyone's results can be different still, even with the same make/model/year car and the same driver on both cars.

If I'm going to be a poor launcher and shifter of this thing, perhaps I can consistently do it so I can see the affect of a mod or two. ;)

Again:

Non-Intercooled Average

Average

0-60: 13.86

1/4 mile: 20.00 @ 75.6mph

Intercooled Average

Average

Wow I thought you would see significantly faster times with an intercooler, Strange? You only gained a half of a second in your 1/4.

Isn't there a way to measure HP with those things. That would be interesting to know. Kinda makes me want one.

Wow I thought you would see significantly faster times with an intercooler, Strange?
Some could argue that I'm only running stock boost. The significance margin will get wider once the boost gets turned up. I can't imagine what the difference would be of a non-intercooled EA81T or EA82T at 13psi vs an intercooled one. The difference would start to get more dramatic.

No matter! It's better safe than sorry. Check this really good post out by 'All Talk'.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15554&highlight=temp

It's information about before and after intercooler installation. I was fascinated by the results and always thought of getting an intercooler (even though I didn't own an EA81T or EA82T yet). I still refer to this thread as a reminder.

Good call on the boost pressures I wasn't even thinking about that. I seemed to forget the whole reason to put an intercooler on is to allow higher boost levels without detonation.

When I intercooled my 86 wagon the thing pulled like a mother when the intercooler was cold and that was with stock boost. I guess a butt dyno cannot beat a g-tech for accuracy. Good thread

• 4 weeks later...
What Model GTech Pro where you using? the old red LED display, the SS or the RR model?

I am using the old red LED display one. Actually, I'm getting ready to leave right now (4:24a.m. in the morning) to do some test runs. 2 runs one way and 2 the other. BRB....

Car: 1988 1.8ltr RX Turbo (Manual/FT4WD)

Mods:

Autozone Cone Filter

Garner Pulley

Techworks Header

GT17 Ball Bearing Turbocharger

Techworks Downpipe

2.5" Cat, 2.5" Custom exhaust, 2.5" Flowmaster

All runs done on at 6-7psi.

South Direction

0-60: 11.80

1/4 mile: 18.53 @ 81.53mph

0-60: 10.8

1/4 mile: 18.06 @ 83.3mph

North Direction

0-60: 11.02

1/4 mile: 18.20 @ 85.6mph

0-60: 11.34

1/4 mile: 18.61 @ 82.3mph

Average

0-60: 11.24

1/4 mile: 18.35 @ 83.2mph

My previous average with only intercooler, garner pulley and K&N air filter was at 6-7psi was:

Average

Average Improvement-->

0-60 by 2.26 seconds

1/4 mile by 1.13 seconds and

Trap speed by 6.6 seconds

Please remember I'm a terrible driver/launcher of a manual trannied car. I taught myself 2 months ago. At least I'm terrible all around. I don't want to fry my clutch or break my tranny launching hard. So I get a pretty good bog on all my runs. At least it's a consistent bog. I'm paying most of my attention to my trap speeds. Your results will vary.

*Based on my trap speed difference, I'll guesstimate I'm making around 29hp more than I previously was*

Sorry to take this off topic...

I'm going to buy one of these but may go for a SS or RR, does anybody know if it's worth the extra $$$? I read the features but you know a sales pitch always makes something sound good.

Is there anyplace besides ebay to buy the higher end units at a decent discount?

Thanks!