Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speedometer sticks on '99 Outback wagon

Hello -

My speedometer/odometer is intermittantly sticking. The problem just started a few days ago. It is rather disconcerting to be driving and not know what actual speed you are going. I stopped in at a Subaru dealership here and they said it would cost $600 to 650 to replace the motherboard behind the speedometer. They also hinted at more expense if I wanted to have it sent out to be correctly reset. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any suggestions? Is it a known defect? Thanks

Dan

Hello -

My speedometer/odometer is intermittantly sticking. The problem just started a few days ago. It is rather disconcerting to be driving and not know what actual speed you are going. I stopped in at a Subaru dealership here and they said it would cost $600 to 650 to replace the motherboard behind the speedometer. They also hinted at more expense if I wanted to have it sent out to be correctly reset. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Any suggestions? Is it a known defect? Thanks

Dan

If you use the search feature you will find many helpful threads on this topic. Speedometer failure on '99 outbacks is very common. The speedometer head usually needs to be replaced, the part is about $100 and it's very easy to do. The quote you received amounts to theft, as a good mechanic should be able to do it in an hour. Let's say they charge you double for the part and an hour of labor, that would be $300 MAX. I didn't calibrate ours when I did it, and it reads within 1 MPH now, well within tolerance.

My advice, either find a new shop or do it yourself.

yo das, do the search on speedos and you'll see my observations regarding this procedure. i was just btdt and you can reset a new speedo to your existing mileage (of course) so long as it has mechanical odometer and not lcd display. just use your old one to practice on before you mess with the new one. the biggest pita is getting the old one out of the panel, i found that some of the connection wires, in particular the single green one to the center of the display, were somewhat short, and this whole area is made for small hands. order you a new one from 1stsubaruparts.com they charged $102 plus shipping, easily beating your dealership "net" price of $140 and "retail" price of $165.