Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 2.2 with single port Exhaust??

I just picked up a 96 Legacy Wagon. I went to swap out the Cats as I had a CEL light. When I started to drop the y=pipe I saw it was a single port exhaust. From what I can tell, the engine is original to this car, but I thought the single exhaust went to the dual in the early 90's.

I have another 96 2.2 and it has the dual port exhaust. Any thoughts?

AS far as I know- very limited experience with Subarus, mind you. But my understanding is that up to 95 had the dual port heads, 96 and later were single port- but think there was a change in production about 1/2 way through the year

made the only error I have ever seen her make by typeing dual ports instead of single.

Otherwise my mind is getting even worse.I would swear I had seen discussion of the single port heads causeing more problems with carboning up and sticking valves.

made the only error I have ever seen her make by typeing dual ports instead of single.

Otherwise my mind is getting even worse.I would swear I had seen discussion of the single port heads causeing more problems with carboning up and sticking valves.

Yes, this came from Lesbaru.

duh :o

Need to watch what I'm typing.

'96-99 are single port. '90-95 are dual port. '95 has an EGR on the left head.

Emily

Emily,

What do you think about the opinion that single port is hard ont exhaust valves and bring about their failure more rapidly than dual port ?

Emily,

What do you think about the opinion that single port is hard on exhaust valves and bring about their failure more rapidly than dual port ?

We haven't seen any evidence to support that at all. Due to their small size, EJ22 exhaust valves can be a weak point in any year if the engine is running too lean. This will cause them to "burn"...I've even seen chunks burnt out of the edge of exhaust valves because of this.

The single port heads do seem to carbon up internally a bit worse, or maybe they're just harder to clean due to the design. :mad: Even a 55 gal. ultrasonic cleaner won't take out burned on carbon!

Frankly, the single port EJ22s seem as durable as the dual ports.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

I was told my 96 2.2L was a single port and about to die a miserable death due to messed up exhaust valves. I took my car to a different mechanic (Yay! Smart Service!) who said the car was just fine and there was no sign of immanent demise or cruddy exhaust valves.

Drive on!!

I was told my 96 2.2L was a single port and about to die a miserable death due to messed up exhaust valves. I took my car to a different mechanic (Yay! Smart Service!) who said the car was just fine and there was no sign of immanent demise or cruddy exhaust valves.

Drive on!!

Can we guess who said this to you? And did they try to kill you later? :grin: