Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hardcore trail rigs and subaru engines

JParuBob

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308894&highlight=subaru

This is one of the top teams in the rockcrawling community. This year they are going to a WRX STi engine. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Now, I also know some of you don't like Pirate4x4.com. I am not posting this to turn it into a board war. I think it's cool as hell, and the people building this particular buggy are cool as hell. So, please do not go over there and start anything.

This is one of the top teams in the rockcrawling community. This year they are going to a WRX STi engine. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Now, I also know some of you don't like Pirate4x4.com. I am not posting this to turn it into a board war. I think it's cool as hell, and the people building this particular buggy are cool as hell. So, please do not go over there and start anything.

Jamie, that is sort of funny. I will go look at the link though.

The administrator here asked us some time ago not to make trouble on other boards in the name of the USMB. We abide by that willingly and happily.

Jamie, that is sort of funny. I will go look at the link though.

While you find that funny, Pirate is the same way in that respect. They are asked not to actively search out and start flame wars.

Sure, the HP caught crap there. I know you and Eric (mainly) caught crap, along with MudRat about going on the Con. Despite the crap that goes on there, I would trust most of the main posters on that board. I've met MANY PBB board members through various events, and they've alway been stand-up guys.

Sure, there are guys on there I wouldn't trust. There are guys on here that I woudln't trust. It goes both ways.

Back to the subject:

The spotter of the team the buggy is being built for has always had respect for the WRX engine, and has wanted to use one for several years. Now they are getting their chance.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

While you find that funny, Pirate is the same way in that respect. They are asked not to actively search out and start flame wars.

Sure, the HP caught crap there. I know you and Eric (mainly) caught crap, along with MudRat about going on the Con. Despite the crap that goes on there, I would trust most of the main posters on that board. I've met MANY PBB board members through various events, and they've alway been stand-up guys.

Sure, there are guys on there I wouldn't trust. There are guys on here that I woudln't trust. It goes both ways.

Back to the subject:

The spotter of the team the buggy is being built for has always had respect for the WRX engine, and has wanted to use one for several years. Now they are getting their chance.

Will be interesting to see how it goes.

From the readings I did(3 pages) they don't have time to put out any fires outside their own board.

The EJ20G is a good powerplant. With the gearing they have described it should do quite well. I hope they do alot of test drives though. Sure would be a surprize to have boost come on and not be ready for it.

BTW, Eric and John met a couple guys from the pirate board on our trip as well. They seemed just fine. But their reputation is not a good one on the trail. I hope they have done some repairing of that as well.

From the readings I did(3 pages) they don't have time to put out any fires outside their own board.

The EJ20G is a good powerplant. With the gearing they have described it should do quite well. I hope they do alot of test drives though. Sure would be a surprize to have boost come on and not be ready for it.

BTW, Eric and John met a couple guys from the pirate board on our trip as well. They seemed just fine. But their reputation is not a good one on the trail. I hope they have done some repairing of that as well.

1. PBB is approximately 5x as big as the USMB. It's known for not putting up with (for lack of a better word) stupidity. There are several other not as hardcore sites that are more appropriate for that. It's not asking about "what's the best lift for my jeep that I can buy", it's more of "I rebuilt the suspension on my jeep and am having trouble with anti-squat". I have learned more there than I could ever imagine. It's just not an easy board. They are trying to remedy that, but it's not easy.

2. There is a difference between Pirate4x4.com and the Pirates of the Rubicon. Originally P4x4.com started out as a board FOR the Pirates of the Rubicon club, but slowly grew into what it has become today. There are really only about 15 or 20 members of the Pirates of the Rubicon. So one does not necessarily represent the other. Sure, I go to Pirate4x4.com, but I'm not a member of the Pirates of the Rubicon Club. Some people don't necessarily make that distinction, however.

Neat rig but I dunno if I like the moon rover setup so low to the ground there. Did you see that fully custom Samarui someone did up recently? Talk about MAD suspension travel!!!! It was really off the hook.

They sure do use the :FU: emoticon a lot over there. I don't care for most of the company at pirate4x4. Just a whole lot of FU, GO BIG OR GO HOME, more money than brains mentality I dont need to associate with. I'm not basing this observation on one visit either...

Neat rig but I dunno if I like the moon rover setup so low to the ground there. Did you see that fully custom Samarui someone did up recently? Talk about MAD suspension travel!!!! It was really off the hook.

They sure do use the :FU: emoticon a lot over there. I don't care for most of the company at pirate4x4. Just a whole lot of FU, GO BIG OR GO HOME, more money than brains mentality I dont need to associate with. I'm not basing this observation on one visit either...

There is a big difference between the smiley flipoff that a LOT of people use, and the regular flipoff... Sure, there is a lot of smiley flipoff, that means it's all in good fun... Obviously it's very hard to convey exact meaning through type, that one is used a lot to convey that...

The moon rover setup has become popular as of late because of Tiny, the first buggy run by Jon Bundrant of All-Pro Offroad. After he came out with Tiny (built by Nelson and Nelson Offroad who usually do Baja trucks), a lot of people came out with their own versions. The rigs work very well...

A lot of the people there are of the go big or go home attitude. But once again, it's not jeepsunlimited.com. There are a lot of the competitors of the rockcrawling circuits there, and they all go big. PBB runs the gamut though. It's not all 44 inch tires (there are some bigger :brow: and more smaller), and not all 2.5 ton rockwell axles.

Really though, once you get past the facade, there really are a decent bunch of guys (and girls) over there. They are doing a lot to try and keep trails open also, more than you would think. Actually, the Con is in danger of being shut down if they aren't careful, and a lot of PBB members try and watch to ensure that the trail is being taken care of properly...

Yeah it's not Pirate4x4's fault a few bad apples are rotting the whole bushel. Bound to happen with 40,000+ people registerd to ANYTHING. There is some really great information on their site. It is a great resource for the offroading community as a whole; not just big jeep duders (for example the info on there about steel). I just dont care to partake in the actually forum posting and such; all I could see come from it is me getting angry :-p That's more based on past experiences in friction/hostile environments like that; than on the PBB itself.

On land use issues thats great to hear. We need more people involved to be sure. If only it was just the Rubicon in danger.... dunno if anyone else is noticing it but frankly we are getting robed. Both legaly and illegaly they are taking away our trails on national and state levels. I do my part as a Minnesota 4WD Association member and part of the Land Use commitee... but we need more!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are we far enough off topic LOL

They are doing a lot to try and keep trails open also, more than you would think. Actually, the Con is in danger of being shut down if they aren't careful, and a lot of PBB members try and watch to ensure that the trail is being taken care of properly...

I thought they got past that one last year. You'd think with the corporate use of that trail that they would have buried that issue already.

We all have no one to blame but ourselves. We did elect the idiots that are making these decisions. Maybe not individually but collectively anyway.

I thought they got past that one last year. You'd think with the corporate use of that trail that they would have buried that issue already.

We all have no one to blame but ourselves. We did elect the idiots that are making these decisions. Maybe not individually but collectively anyway.

Well, I think they barely dodged the bullet. I know part of the trail was shut down for a little while... Check out the Land Use forum on the PBB. There is a lot more infor there.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know, it doesn't seem like the powerband of a turbo engine is right for a rock crawler. Seems to me that you'd want plenty of grunt down low in the RPM range, not a big boost in power up higher when the turbo spools up.

Lots of duders run automatics now however. Highstall torque converter and you wont be kicking in untill you are in the power band. There is another competition rock crawler that uses an EJ22. They use Nitrous when they need that extra umph :)

I moved this to the offroad forum, the thread has become more on that side than transplants.

Personally I love to see any sort of testing of a Subaru engine on a trail rig. We all know how great the ea81, ej22, etc is but the turbo ej engines should be neat to watch (and hear, I love the sound of them).

If its bang for the buck they want they are in the right class of engine, if they can keep the RPM in the range they want they are going to be very impressed. I hope they don't "GO CHEAP" and not give it the right ingredients in the rig.

Gotta remember, the same sort of people that think NASCAR is better than WRC think V8's are the only thing worthy on a trail.

It will take some intelligent and patient people to convince these guys what we all know already. The HP has done a fantastic job of this thusfar and I know they will continue to do so. They also are doing a wonderful job of being good trail users and examples of the Subaru community.

• 3 weeks later...

bob1807wm.jpgcheck out this rig, powered by a 450hp race-prepped STI motor :slobber: Its strictly a comp rigl. They call them moon-buggies because of their offset design made to pack everything in as tight and low as possible with perfect weight distribution and suspension geometry.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308894&page=1&pp=25

bob1807wm.jpgcheck out this rig, powered by a 450hp race-prepped STI motor :slobber: Its strictly a comp rigl. They call them moon-buggies because of their offset design made to pack everything in as tight and low as possible with perfect weight distribution and suspension geometry.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=308894&page=1&pp=25

Someday I will build one of those :drunk:

These are dominating the Rock Crawling Championships now.

If your not driving a Moon Buggy your not going to win.

No other designs even come close to what these can do. :slobber:

They defy gravity :eek:

My only problem with the Moon Buggies, is that they are only one person rigs :banghead:

I can't use a one person rig. I've got to have something that the family or at least one passenger can ride along with.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

**I'll post a link to some UROC video clips and pics in the off the topic section.--Great Stuff!

These are dominating the Rock Crawling Championships now.

If your not driving a Moon Buggy your not going to win.

No other designs even come close to what these can do. :slobber:

They defy gravity :eek:

My only problem with the Moon Buggies, is that they are only one person rigs :banghead:

I can't use a one person rig. I've got to have something that the family or at least one passenger can ride along with.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

**I'll post a link to some UROC video clips and pics in the off the topic section.--Great Stuff!

So what you are saying; is you need TWO moon buggies :brow: His and Hers; rally blue and apple blossum red :drunk: