Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hardcore trail rigs and subaru engines

JParuBob

Going most places a 50k rig can go doesnt really mean anything, because the 50k is spent making that vehicle able to do that one hillclimb that nothing else can. Subies do make awesome trail rigs, If I didnt think so I wouldnt be building one. But make no mistake, a suby is no match for one of these tubed out rock buggies being pushed to its limits.

• 1 year later...

I dunno what is more satisfing? being in a super built rock buggy and jumping over obsticles in .00000001 seconds or taking a vehicle that is not super capible just has a good driver to go places the rock buggy could go?

Id rather have a full bodied vehicle anyday.takes skill to go places without body damage in a full bodied vehicle.

subaru>tube frame....at least in the sense that it takes far more skill to operate one correctly...

although 450 hp in something weight a ton :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Living so close to spots like the moonrocks, where they have national competitions and stuff, I can appreciate both sides. Those guys and their buggy's go NUTS on stuff, they do stuff that I wouldn't even think about doing in a soob. So I can appreciate it when they make certain obstacles. But I also appreciate what we can do in our rigs, I have made some obstacles that made those guys appreciate my rig, so it works out.

I'm actually kinda surprised that the rock buggy crowd did not catch on to what the sandrail crowd has known for a long time:

the ej is really a bad rump roast motor.

139lb long block

can be built very strong

very low center of gravity(especially inportant in a rock buggy)

really good flowing heads like SOHC, ej20g, ej20k etc

I dont have a ton of experience with offroading(though I would like to change that) but from what I can tell there is definitely a place for the guys playing with >$1000 subarus simply because they like them, to the richers going full throttle at insane obstacles in the name of pushing the limits. its all good.:cool:

as far as turbo powerband, seems like the only time you would need a lot of power you are on the gas, and on it hard. most turbos capable of 450hp are going to be spooling by 35-4000 rpm anyway which is not out of the question. lag, that is what automatics are for.

as far as turbo powerband, seems like the only time you would need a lot of power you are on the gas, and on it hard. most turbos capable of 450hp are going to be spooling by 35-4000 rpm anyway which is not out of the question. lag, that is what automatics are for.

I had to get an auto (4eat so my wife could drive my subie) plus none were avail. in a outback when I got it.

However, I found the gears were lower in my 4eat than a 5MT and I climb alot of hills ... Just luck! Everyone disses my 4eat but hey , I have yet to see another 2gen .outback doing what I do with a 5MT either!...even an NA EJ25 with a borla has planty of torque to crank up them steeps ...but it's no rock crawler!

• 8 months later...

as stated in an earlier post in this thread...

they are going to get crazy boost when not wanted.

A real rock crawler has full thumping cylinders by perfect cams, low rpms and of course "rock crawling" gears. Seems quite bizarre to choose a high jumping manic depressive rally engine for such a precise chore. :confused:

as stated in an earlier post in this thread...

they are going to get crazy boost when not wanted.

A real rock crawler has full thumping cylinders by perfect cams, low rpms and of course "rock crawling" gears. Seems quite bizarre to choose a high jumping manic depressive rally engine for such a precise chore. :confused:

Here's an idea. If you have something to say just say it. We really do not need any of the rhymes and acid laden sentences to try to figure out.

Personaly I think the whole idea of a moonbuggy is pure ************!I read though all 14 pages of that.The only thing ive come up with is some ********************* spent 75K plus on a rig that in a given day he will have only spent an hour in it.Said ********************* didn't even do ANYTHING on it other than provide the bank.For me half-3/4 of the fun is actually BUILDING it,or if you cant weld bolting pieces on.I respect the people that build cool rigs with there own sweat,blood,and tears.I repect the guy who spent 8 years of his life building a motor for his chevy s-10 on 3/4 ton running gear.

granted alot of work goes into the buggies and thats cool.mad props to the welders and the people who designed it.

The buggies are capable but I could spend 25K not to mention my time on a $200 subaru and it would be just as good.Something you could actualy drive for days on end.not this *************** richman ************ of driving the damn thing for 10 minutes,waiting an hour,10 more minutes then load the thing on a trailer.No vehicle as long as it moves under its own power should ever be trailered.Wheter it be an off-road rig or a numbers matching 426 hemi 4 speed convertable.

I quess we are all entitled to our own opinions:rolleyes:

I've seen TV shows and off-road mags showing buggies on the trails and not just at some made up park run. I dont think all the owners only spend a hour more or less in them either.

And I'm pretty sure, almost positive, that none of those buggies are street legal. Heck, even my Hatch isnt sreet legal and is supposed to be trailered. Now if I had a 3/4ton truck and tandem trailer, I might do that.

But if I had that much $, I might just have one of them rock buggies:cool:

So true!

Even so with our rigs. We spend how much $ (some not so much) getting them trail ready or RallyX ready, etc and when we finally get tired of them and decide to sell, theres no way we are going to get a return of what we put into them. The market is only going to bear so much.