Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Tap size- EA82 heads
Posted 19 August 2003 - 09:24 PM
did the search (first archival dig of mine on the new board) found a thread.. yet only stayed confused.
Caleb (the soobie nerd formally known as Subrina7)
Posted 20 August 2003 - 01:22 AM
Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:05 AM
Posted 17 September 2003 - 09:15 PM
A fairly uncommon size......
I just ordered the tap and die from MSC for about $20.
Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:03 AM
Ended up doing 3 7/16 coarse heli coils.
Problem I encountered at that stage was keeping the drill plumb to the short block surface- 1 out of 3 seemed straight when finished, placing head on was tight since 2 studs were off a hair facing either way.
For furture reference, any tips on keeping that drill more plumb? I did not see a real practical wa to set up a guide.. tried to check against a square but that became irrevelant once the metal started curling out.
Posted 18 September 2003 - 09:35 AM
To replace the O2 sensor on my '93 EA82, and not having the special tool, I had to remove the upper and lower heat shield around that junction, where the two headpipes join. To do that, I had to unbolt the headpipes from the heads to drop the whole pipe assy down far enough to remove the upper junction heat shield.
Naturally, three of four studs came out of the head, instead of the nuts coming off of the studs. Also naturally, the studs galled coming out, dragging some aluminum threads with them.
The holes are 10mm x 1.25mm pitch, which, if you're familiar with the metric stuff, is the "middle" of the 10mm coarse/medium/fine thread pitch smorgasbord.
Fortunately! I have access to a 10mm x 1.25 Helicoil set This is not a terribly common size. Astoundingly, I also have the correct drill size to prep the hole. And, there's actually room to manoeuver the drill under there, unlike most in-the-car stripped hole repair jobs.
And my local parts store actually had the correct 10mm studs, correct length and everything.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users