Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mercedes Eaton M-62 supercharger

sheppie62

Has anyone thought of using on of these on a ea-82. It looks like it could fit where the air conditioning compressor sits. And has an electric clutch? I don't know the benifit of a clutch, because they dont appear able to pull air thru it when not operating, maybe some type of one way valve? I sure Someone here has thought this thru.

Has anyone thought of using on of these on a ea-82. It looks like it could fit where the air conditioning compressor sits. And has an electric clutch? I don't know the benifit of a clutch, because they dont appear able to pull air thru it when not operating, maybe some type of one way valve? I sure Someone here has thought this thru.

A few years ago one of the Australian guys put a supercharger from an older Toyota MR2 on his ea82... In theory you could make almost anyone work as long as you found a belt that would work.

eaton m-62 would probibly be a touch on the large side for a 1.8l, still if you under drive it it would work, as for the clutch you need a vacuum or electricly operated bypass valve like the toyota blowers have installed.

custom crank pully would be needed i would think as as that size blower would be getting to the size that a toothed belt is needed rather than a V-belt

just my hungover opinion

Yes, I have been researching the idea for quite a while, ever since WCSS6, when one of the new forum guys put one of those M62's on his EJ22 Legacy. Right now I am building my super car, using the EA82 engine of course cause of cheapness of parts. I am concerned the amount of drag it will put on the motor will outweigh the torque. This is why I am looking into the smaller Eaton M45 which is designed for motors 1.6- 3 Liters, or somwhere in that range. My main debate is whether to go with low compression pistons for longevity, or high compression pistons, for the HP.. which, who wouldent want HP?

• 2 weeks later...

The clutch style, as pictured, does not need a bypass valve. When off, the rotors simply spin freely as air is sucked passed them. The size smaller than the m62 is the m45 but you can use the m62 and control boost my spinning the supercharger slower than a 2.25-1 pulley ratio which is what it is designed for. I am getting a 6-9 psi through an intercooler into a 2.2 while at a 2-1 pulley ratio.

The v-belt wont cut it for gription over probably 3-4 psi of boost. Use Dayco Polycog belts.

You should intercool over 3-4 psi.

I am at about 150 whp and 200-220 chp at 6-9 psi (psi rises somewhat in relation to boost in my wagon).

I installed the AWIC on October 16th, my 37th birthday! I also then reinstalled my 7.25" crank pulley. Since then I have upgraded my injectors to 370cc and have a near perfect supercharger to AWIC plumbing so now my psi starts at 6 psi at 2000 rpm and climbs up to almost 9 psi at 6000 rpm.

Other than ****ty milage due to the large injectors the car run really great and plenty (but still not enough) of power. I am putting down somewhere in the 150 wheel hp range which is about 200-220 crank hp. Not back for a stock 130 hp motor!

When I get the money and time I will be boosting higher still, about 10-12 psi which will make me a stock WRX eater.