Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Signature Grille for Subarus to come?

The discussion on the newly unveiled 7 passenger Subaru suv got me wondering about this new grille references are made to as being the signature grille of the next Subarus. Sorry if there pics are old news to you all--I just looked them up. If Subaru goes to this style with their current successful cars, do you think they'll sell?

subaro-concept-front-200-160.jpga006-hybrid1-0104y-4.jpg1512960-L.jpg

Tokyo%2003%20Concept%20R1e.jpg

Now, I realize that concept cars are lots of times far off from what actually hits production, but evidently this new look is on the new B9X...

8760_image.jpg

The discussion on the newly unveiled 7 passenger Subaru suv got me wondering about this new grille references are made to as being the signature grille of the next Subarus. Sorry if there pics are old news to you all--I just looked them up. If Subaru goes to this style with their current successful cars, do you think they'll sell?
Are they gonna sell? Bleeeecccchhhh, not to this consumer they're not.

Can you say Edsel?

This comes from that designer they picked up from... was it Peugeot? [Edit - see below. Alfa Romeo] Someone correct me if I've got the wrong company. The guy is just trying to slightly rework "his" signature grill design. To me, I wasn't all that crazy about the original, but it more or less worked. These "new" versions just come across as watered down, distorted, a-step-in-the-wrong-direction yada yada. I mean, he's taken the center element and turned it upside down. Whoop-de-do. It's as if he had it as good as he was going to get it, and now he's trying to "improve" upon it, and can't.

I'm not crazy about it. I do give Subaru some credit though for trying to be more distinctive. But as someone else mentioned... too much Edsel in it for my taste.

Commuter

The sporty silver Subaru concept car made me think of an old Golden Hawk. You don't see them on the road much, but when I pulled up a pic to refresh my memory--B I N G O--looks like the designer ripped off a 50 year old Studebaker look. Check it out. Invert that center grille and there you go...

1999%20P.Campbell%20Studebaker%20Golden%20Hawk.jpg

I don't like the new look but could get by it if they make an inexpensive, relaible vehicle. I'm tired of all the wheel bearing, torque bind, and head gasket issues I've read about in recent models.

Are the new cars designed to be simple and reliable or is Subaru loading up the options and going "high" style to lure a new demographic at the expense of long time, faithful Subaru owners?

• 2 weeks later...