Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale vs GL rear wagon glass

Decided to eliminate the GL trim on my 89 GL wagon. Besides filling in some holes on the tailgate, I'll need to deal with re-trimming the rear side glass, as well as the rear tailgate window.

I had hoped to use the "no-frills-looking" Loyale trim for the rear glass, but discovered that the glass is not interchangeble between the two models. The Loyale's use triangular shaped trim on the lower rear bottoms (instead of glass as on the GL's).

Ideally, I would want to convert my GL to the Loyale glass system if at all possisle. The Loyale glass also pops out instead of needing cement, which is yet another plus.

My question is whether the Loyale triangular corner piece is part of the unibody? Or is it removable? Can the GL be easily retrofitted to accept the Loyale glass sytem?

thanks, John

a visual aid would help so mutch

I dont have a pic, but if you look at your Loyale, you'll see a triangular section of trim at the bottom corner of your rear side glass. It has a fastener in the middle that attaches to the body somehow.

What I'm trying to figure out if there is solid metal behind that triangle - or if there is some sort of removable bracket to close up the corner.

If it is removable (making the window opening the same as the GL's), it will then be possible to install the Loyale window system on the GL's.

"Why bother?" you may ask. The Loyale glass system pops in, (instead of requiring cement), making replacement easier. Also, the Loyale trim is self-contained, which means you don't have to run all the GL trim, if you want to give your car a more streamlined look.

John

Goto a Junkyard and find a good back hatch off a loyale. As long as its not baby blue, the colors are pretty much the same from GL to Loyale. If your car is white, black, grey, red or yellow the paint colors seem to be the same for the years. they changed blue in 88 I believe.

Goto a Junkyard and find a good back hatch off a loyale. As long as its not baby blue, the colors are pretty much the same from GL to Loyale. If your car is white, black, grey, red or yellow the paint colors seem to be the same for the years. they changed blue in 88 I believe.

The tailgate is not as big an issue as the side glass.

Again, I'm trying to figure out a way to install the Loyale side glass onto a GL.

Can't believe this hasn't come up before...

John

alright well I will ask at work today. I work and a auto body/glass shop that specializes in subarus. My boss will know.

Oh yea, and GL's are rope in windows. well at least the 3 that I have pulled the back side glass out of. They are rope in windows because of chassis flex. If they were glued in, they'd crack like the WRX rear glass.,