Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 obw 200k bought the car really cheep needed head gaskets both sides. when i bought the car the light was on. to change the gaskets with the engine in the car seemed to be more difficult than pulling the engine. to make a long story short i rebuilt the motor since it was out (anyone have questions be glad to help it was the 2.5) when i put the motor back in the light was out but soon after it came on again. how do i get it to turn off?

96 obw 200k bought the car really cheep needed head gaskets both sides. when i bought the car the light was on. to change the gaskets with the engine in the car seemed to be more difficult than pulling the engine. to make a long story short i rebuilt the motor since it was out (anyone have questions be glad to help it was the 2.5) when i put the motor back in the light was out but soon after it came on again. how do i get it to turn off?

The light only goes on when it senses a problem. If the problem goes away the light goes off with no resetting required. So, if the light is on there is a problem. Best thing to do is stop by a Major Autoparts store like AutoZone and have them read the code. They should be able to do it for free.

thanks, the battery thing doesnt work, i was told that even though the problem is fixed the code is in the computer untill it is earased. i could care less about the light on but in NY 96 and newer cars are plugged into a computer and the then the DMV can pass or fail the car and with the light on it wont pass