Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Long right turn = blue smoke??

Okay... so I've had the '90 for about a week now, lovin' it! Yet I've only had one problem so far. I was getting onto the freeway and this particular on-ramp looped around before it merged with traffic... made a long right hand turn, just past 180*. As I began to straighten out on the freeway a big rump roast blue smoke cloud came out my tail pipe, thick enough that I couldn't see through it. It went away after a good 75-100 feet and the engine never gave me any problems when it happened......

What could be causing this?? I'm guessing that the PCV valve might be at fault but since I know very little about these engines I'm asking for some help from those who know.

This is the only problem I've incountered so far and I've put a good 220 miles on it... I'm workin' on making the Hood River event so I can meet you all.

It says in that bulliten it only effected 1999/91 Loyales but my 88 GL wagon (SPFI) did the same thing. I happend to notice at the junkyard some SPFIs had a more "logical" PCV system. Little did I know that it was this PCV system fix heh. Got all the parts I needed from the junkyard and put them on my EA82.

Maybe a cheaper solution to some who are junkyard savy :)

Originally posted by subieman

Whoops hope it dident cost you too much. I payed $41 at suabruparts.com. Yes it works great and easy to install. I tried changing out the PCV valve and it did not help the smoke one bit.

Happy subieing :drunk:

Naw... cost about $39 from the dealer. Has fixed the problem.