Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower Motor EA81

I'm trying to locate my blower motor in the EA81.

Best I can find is a brass-colored cylinder w/ a small hose going into the back of it. Is this the heater blower motor? I can't see any wires going to it and I can't see any screws to remove it.

Any help would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have a ballpark estimate of what a replacement from a parts shop costs?

Thanks.

The Haynes Manual that I have (doesn't cover the EA81's like I was assured it would) shows something that looks quite different than what I'm seeing here on my car.

I went to remove the Glove Box but couldn't figure out how. And once again my manual is useless.

I don't think what you found is what you are looking for....

the motor is black, and about fist size...

to get to the blower motor, you need to do the following (and probably more)

on the passenger side:

remove tray under glove box

remove glove box

remove kick panel trim piece

see big black box that connects into the AC condenser coils? it's on the back side of it.

you need to remove that whole black box unit to get to the blower motor.

replacement ones are usually around $60 at NAPA...

Are you referring to your heater control unit?

I just purchased one for $35.00 from used-carparts.com (plus 2 day shipping) and had my mechanic install it. Apparently, you can actually order a new one from Subaru for around $199.00.

I'm glad I had the whole heater control unit replaced because now I also have a working cigarette lighter (I don't smoke) so I can actually use the lighter as a battery charger!

The mechanic tried to convince me to replace the fan because it didn't blow super fast, but I figure if the car doesn't run really hot so if the fan runs any faster it still won't blow any hotter.