Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weberized Brat still refuses to idle

From my experience with my Weberized one, sounds like a vacuum issue, somewhere, plug popped off or cracked and leaking, EGR (as mentioned by others), broken or cracked hose, even an intake gasket that has a leak...intake to head?? Mine has done it a few times and has always been one of my several vacuum plugs either cracked, leaking, or while doing something, the engine would burp or backfire blowing off a vacuum plug somewhere, unawares to me until I tried to get it to idle.

my $0.02

HbL

Hmm.. I could've sworn that I replied to my own thread with what I had been doing. Guess I didnt.

Anywho, heres whats happened:

I prolly posted this earlier in the thread, but here it is again. I got pissed at all the excess vacuum lines running everywhere with plugged ends. I completed the rest of the emissions removal. Anything and everything went out onto the ground. I've got a carb, a dizzy, a block, and a tailpipe. :)

Russ: when I removed the remaining emissions junk, I fingered the EGR valve, and it made no difference.

New to teh fresh stuff: I gave up on trying to figure it out in my driveway, and so I tossed it up on the trailer and took it up to my friendly family mechanic. He usually doesnt charge me a dime if I do all the work. He tells me what to do to get to (X) and I go do it. :)

Anywho, that afternoon I brought it up there, I pulled the carb back off the Ru for the 3millionth time, disassembled it down as far as I felt comfortable doing, then handed it over. David broke out a screwdriver, and pulled even more parts off that I didnt think to do.

After he finished, he handed me the bare carb body, a new can of carb cleaner, and pointed to the yard. I shot through every opening.. the same old ones I shot before, and through all the new holes that appeared after David removed all the other things. I found several large chunks of crap which came out from under the power valve in the bottom of the bowl. There were several others that came ouf of other orifices. I never really realized exactly how much is tied into the idle circuit. I shot out the entire can of cleaner.

I then handed the body back to David, and he shot out the passages with compressed air. He mentioned to me that my gaskets are still okay, but arent "good" and it wouldnt hurt to go ahead and buy a rebuild kit. I went to the parts house and put in an order for the rebuild kid (which was a fiasco meant for another thread). Afterwhich, I ran up the road for lunch, when I returned, David was out on a service call. So I went home.

Over the last several days, David has had an absolute ton of new work come into the shop, so I've sat on the side. Only downside to being "free work".

Well today, we both sat down and put the carb back together with the rebuild kit. Actually, I was just there to watch. About 20 minutes later, the finished carb was handed back to me to go install.

I had that bugger back on there and right within 10 minutes. David came out and set the idle, and lean mixture, and hot damn.. the thing idles like its brand new. Apparently there was some crud built up in the passages I couldnt get to before.. and the jolt freed it up to clog the powervalve and associated passages.

I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully its tuned up right, and my MPG will go up instead of down from its previously awesome 26 or so. David has been screwing with Webers for years, and I think its gonna be good. :banana:

Will post up findings once I run a tank through it.