Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are there any cool looking seats out of another subaru (or any car for that matter) that would be easy to replace the worn out ones in my 90 legacy with? I dont care about colors matching really, just want an improvement over what I have now. :D

Any of the Legacy seats from 90 to 94 should fit, if you are going OEM. . .

How exactly are your seats worn out? Bad fabric? or broken down foam/springs?

You should be able to find a good set of seats at a wrecking/salvage yard for cheap. If you are willing to pay shipping + cost, there is a guy near me that has a set I could check on the frice from. They are in really good shape, from a 91 wagon. Blue velour with the adjustable headrests. . . PM me if you want me to call him up for a price. . .

He is parting the car out, so he may not have them long. . .

Are there any cool looking seats out of another subaru (or any car for that matter) that would be easy to replace the worn out ones in my 90 legacy with? I dont care about colors matching really, just want an improvement over what I have now. :D

WRX seats drop right in.

You will be left with one extra bolt for each side. Keep in mind that the WRX seats sit several inches taller (but driver's side has a height adjustment).

They are much more comfortable than my old 1998 Legacy seats. Look cool too.

2002-2003 are the same, 2004 and newer are different.

You will need to transfer over the seat belt slip because the WRX buckle is different than older styles.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy them from a vehicle that has NOT been wrecked. The seatbelt strain can bend the slider rails. I had a nightmare time with mine because of this.

Ebay has good prices, but shipping can be high. they are much heavier than older seats, because there is more bolstering.

You will have unmatched seats, but you can also find rear WRX seats too. Remember that the WRX sedan seats are not split like the wagon seats, and they are supposed to fit pretty well, but they will be slightly higher in the back.

I am going to order some seat covers from Attention to Detail which will make my seats match again.

hope that helps.

• 4 months later...

so wrx/rs and newer seats will fit in 1990-94 legacies? what do you do about the automatic seatbelts? just get harnesses?? there a few wrx owners locally who're selling their seats, and to put those in my 91 LEGACY L wagon would be AWESOME!

Not w/ my Subaru, but with other cars I have owned over the years, i have swapped in seats from a newer car...even seats that were from a different make. I imagine this compromises safety by certain standards in some swaps, but roam through a salvage yard and see what bolts up similar to yours. I'd be cautios of buying from a slavage yard mail order unless they guarantee quality as described. LOTS of salvage yard interiors get lots of water and weather on their interiors very quickly. (There's a slightly wrecked Lexus sitting at a garage near my house that has its windshield busted out and all that leather interior has now been rained on several times.)

My 95 LSi has leather seats and they are still in good shape, so that might be an option. Fronts would probably drop in fairly easily--not sure about the rear.

Anyway, good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Non-factory-installed seats can be safer than you think.

You'll notice the seatbelt is bolted directly to the frame of the car, not to the seat. During a crash, a seat with someone in it is subjected to forces not much greater than those on an empty seat (assuming no unbelted rear passengers, and no unsecured cargo). The seat does have to be bolted down securely, so it won't go flying in a crash, but it's not like it has to restrain passengers.

Non-factory-installed seats can be safer than you think.

You'll notice the seatbelt is bolted directly to the frame of the car, not to the seat. During a crash, a seat with someone in it is subjected to forces not much greater than those on an empty seat (assuming no unbelted rear passengers, and no unsecured cargo). The seat does have to be bolted down securely, so it won't go flying in a crash, but it's not like it has to restrain passengers.

Never really thought about that -- it makes sense for a head-on collision. But does the same apply for a rear end collision, where the accelerating forces of your body and seat are toward the rear? Wouldn't the seat back and frame be the primary force restraint in this case?