Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Not another stereo question!

Yes...I did a search several times and came up with a little bit of knowledge, but not what I'm looking for.

I want to put a stereo in the GL. I bought the adapter hardware, not sure what to do with the clock trip computer thing, I will stash it somewhere, but my question is....what's up with the antenna cable. Is there another normal connection somewhere, or do I have to make an adapter to work with my stereo?

The cable is soldered right at the stereo! Also do I have to completely rewire all the speakers or can I cheat somehow someway? When applying the aftermarket stereo to the stock wiring the sound was bad. Since this car is the GL10, it has nice fabric covered speaker covers. What does one do to remove these w/o destroying them. Many thanks in advance.

on my GL, IIRC, the antenna on the stock radio had about a 10" (?) extension on it, then it went to a normal connector. I believe there was enough slack in the cable to pull the normal connection forward to plug into my stereo.

Also, when I put my stereo in, I had to run new wires to the speakers. I believe most aftermarket stereos require 2 wires for each speaker, whereas the stock radio tied one of them to ground.

You should be able to just run new wires from your new harness to the connectors as they go through into the door.

good luck

edit: here's a link where they talk about what to do with the trip computer

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16377

Hoozie's got ya covered, you will find the antenna connection

(male from antenna - female from radio) at the corner of the center console next to your knee when seated.

As for the speakers.

The common point in their wiring you need to avoid is by passed by connecting at the following connectors.

The two wire connectors for the front factory speakers

are located at the top of the kick panels

(outboard panels from your feet when seated)

They should be pink in color.

The rear speakers join the radio harness at a black multi pin connector behind the radio.

The four speaker wires are in line on the bottom row of the connector.

The colors are

W/L - B/L-- Rear right

Y/L - L/R -- Left rear

W = white

L = blue

Y = yellow

R = red

Note use a common stripe color for

your polarity guide.

Hope this helps

Sorry Mark,

But my 89 EA 82 FSM shows both the

front pair

and

rear pair

of speakers have one wire of each speaker

connected to one wire of the other speaker in the pair.

This connection is between

the connectors I mention and the radio.

the subaru radio has a common ground for the speakers. left and right, 2 grounds, one each for front and rear

when you connect an aftermarket unit you will use one ground from either left speaker for both the front and back, and vice versa for the right. the leftover 2 ground wires on the aftermarket unit will not be used

Sorry Mark,

But my 89 EA 82 FSM shows both the

front pair

and

rear pair

of speakers have one wire of each speaker

connected to one wire of the other speaker in the pair.

This connection is between

the connectors I mention and the radio.

According to my 1987 FSM, the right front and the right rear speakers share one wire. Also, the left front and the left rear speakers share one wire. So if you rewire both the front right and the front left speakers, then neither of the speakers will share grounds.

According to my 1987 FSM, the right front and the right rear speakers share one wire. Also, the left front and the left rear speakers share one wire. So if you rewire both the front right and the front left speakers, then neither of the speakers will share grounds.

Good thinking, and rewiring just the fronts is cake. Not like the rears are hard...just a pain in the ars.

Mark, my apologies to you sir. You are correct.

Followed the wrong lines (put your reading glasses on dummy)

Sorry for the incorrect information.

If the pink connectors at the top of the kick panels are separated and

used for the front speaker connections.

Then the rear speakers can be wired to the rear speaker wires that run to the radio.

This is probably easier than finding the black muti pin connector

in the wire jungle behind the radio.

P.S.

A simple way of testing for the correct wires is to use a 1.5 v dry cell battery.

Voltage will not hurt the speaker voice coil, and a nice "click" can be heard when the proper wires

are connected to the battery.

To clear up a misconception - there are no speaker wires running to "ground" in this system..

Mark, my apologies to you sir. You are correct.

Followed the wrong lines (put your reading glasses on dummy)

Sorry for the incorrect information.

If the pink connectors at the top of the kick panels are separated and

used for the front speaker connections.

Then the rear speakers can be wired to the rear speaker wires that run to the radio.

This is probably easier than finding the black muti pin connector

in the wire jungle behind the radio.

P.S.

A simple way of testing for the correct wires is to use a 1.5 v dry cell battery.

Voltage will not hurt the speaker voice coil, and a nice "click" can be heard when the proper wires

are connected to the battery.

To clear up a misconception - there are no speaker wires running to "ground" in this system..

No problem. Actually I'm glad you had me doubting myself so I could force myself to check the FSM instead of relying on my memory.