Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

90 legacy 2.2 uneven acceleration

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Brayburks

Brayburks

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • CHAMBERSBURG, PA

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:05 PM

90 legacy2.2 sw. 130k, MT. When the engine is cold, it seems that when accelerating you can't give it too much gas at one time. It seems to jerk and/or miss until you let up on the gas pedal a bit. It works fine if you give it gas slowly. Also, it seems that once the temp guage reaches norm temp it will run much better, but still do it a bit on a load(going up a hill or shifting when rpm's are low. You can't try to take off quickly without it wanting to jerk or surge. If you let up on the gas pedal when it starts to jerk, the jerking goes away. It almost seems like a timing problem to me. Any ideas?? thanks.

#2 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 05 January 2005 - 06:06 PM

Almost sounds to me like a clogged cat. Maybe a bad fuel filter???

Anymore ideas??

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,654 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:30 PM

probably a bad coolant temp sensor. They're pretty cheap. I'd just replace it.

Clogged cats typically get worse as the car warms up.

#4 Brayburks

Brayburks

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • CHAMBERSBURG, PA

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:38 AM

I thought that may be it also. Awhile ago I pulled a code that had to do with the temp sensor. It said it was an irregular signal or something. When I cleared the codes, it never came back. It's funny, when it is extremely cold out and it is first started it runs fine. If it is in the 40's, it surges and hesitates on acceleration. It will clear up for the most part when the engine reaches norm temp, but on a load it will come back. You kind of have to feather the gas to keep it smooth. I'll have to try replacing it, but the nearest subaru shop is like 50 miles away.

#5 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:19 AM

and change it yourself. Its a piece of cake unless you are outside at 20 below, and then all bets are off.

#6 coloradosubarules

coloradosubarules

Banned

• Banned
  • 870 posts
  • Port St. Lucie

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:33 AM

DOOOOHHHH!!! :banghead:

#7 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,138 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

Mine have each done that a few times. I say it's clogged injectors from bad gas. I just filled it with Super and added some STP fuel injector cleaner. Like new.

#8 Dazed Dreamer

Dazed Dreamer

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Aurora, Colorado

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

flushing the radiator could help just a thought

#9 Brayburks

Brayburks

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • CHAMBERSBURG, PA

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:41 PM

flushing the radiator could help just a thought

Would that help? and how? Something to do with temp sensor? Is that the sensor on the rt bottom of the radiator?

#10 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:42 PM

sense except that it clears up when warm. I don't think a clogged radiator would do more than help since it would warm up quicker.

#11 Brayburks

Brayburks

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • CHAMBERSBURG, PA

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

at one time I tried to clean the tps(b/c I had read about others cleaning it with good results) but I found that the sensor was held together by rivets. It looked expensive and I didn't want to damage it. I once damaged a $650 air flow meter on my 89 4-runner by poking around somewhere I shouldn't have been. Luckily I found one in a yard for $90.

Is there a good/safe way to clean the tps?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users