Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 legacy 2.2 uneven acceleration

90 legacy2.2 sw. 130k, MT. When the engine is cold, it seems that when accelerating you can't give it too much gas at one time. It seems to jerk and/or miss until you let up on the gas pedal a bit. It works fine if you give it gas slowly. Also, it seems that once the temp guage reaches norm temp it will run much better, but still do it a bit on a load(going up a hill or shifting when rpm's are low. You can't try to take off quickly without it wanting to jerk or surge. If you let up on the gas pedal when it starts to jerk, the jerking goes away. It almost seems like a timing problem to me. Any ideas?? thanks.

I thought that may be it also. Awhile ago I pulled a code that had to do with the temp sensor. It said it was an irregular signal or something. When I cleared the codes, it never came back. It's funny, when it is extremely cold out and it is first started it runs fine. If it is in the 40's, it surges and hesitates on acceleration. It will clear up for the most part when the engine reaches norm temp, but on a load it will come back. You kind of have to feather the gas to keep it smooth. I'll have to try replacing it, but the nearest subaru shop is like 50 miles away.

at one time I tried to clean the tps(b/c I had read about others cleaning it with good results) but I found that the sensor was held together by rivets. It looked expensive and I didn't want to damage it. I once damaged a $650 air flow meter on my 89 4-runner by poking around somewhere I shouldn't have been. Luckily I found one in a yard for $90.

Is there a good/safe way to clean the tps?