Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Electric door lock do not lock

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Fred C

Fred C

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 05 January 2005 - 01:10 PM

I have a 1996 OBW. The door lock will lock with the remote but only the drivers door will unlock. Likewise, the drivers door will lock the other 3 doors but will not unlock the other 3 doors.

How do I fix?

#2 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:34 PM

Don't you have to press the remote twice to open the other doors. I have to do this on my van I know.

#3 Fred C

Fred C

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:45 PM

I tried pressing the remote twice. That did not work.

#4 Tiny Clark

Tiny Clark

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • Germany

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:06 AM

Does the key unlock them all?

#5 sea#3

sea#3

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Vancouver Canada

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:37 AM

Try holding it down for a few seconds on the second push
SEA#3

#6 rcoaster

rcoaster

H6 Power!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Rochester, NY

Posted 06 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

I have a 96 Outback.

If there is no keyless entry, then there is no power lock motor in the driver's door. The keyless entry install kit comes with a motor to unlock and lock the driver's door. It is not wired in with the rest of the door lock system, as it is only wired into the keyless entry module. Even the rest of the car door locks are not wired into the keyless entry module. Here's how it all works:

Keyless entry module activates the driver's door lock motor, which is attached to the lock lever. There is a switch inside the lock lever on the driver's door that activates the rest of the door lock motors. Since the driver door unlocks and locks, but not the rest, it could mean two things:
the lock switch in the driver's door is bad, or you have a blown fuse. Check the fuse first, then check the switch. The double press or hold down won't do any good.

In 1997 they changed everything- all doors now have a lock motor, and there is an external lock switch on the panels for the driver and front passenger.

#7 Subarunation 713

Subarunation 713

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Bridgman (SW Mich)

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:44 PM

I have a 1996 OBW. The door lock will lock with the remote but only the drivers door will unlock. Likewise, the drivers door will lock the other 3 doors but will not unlock the other 3 doors.

How do I fix?

My wife's 96 OBW does the same thing. The fun part of her lock issue is it is intermittent! It works better in cold weather than hot, but not always. Sometimes it opens all 4 and the hatch when it is 4000 degrees inside the car in blazing sun....go figure. Intermittent problems suck. Please post back if the switch thing clears it up for you if it isn't a fuse.
Greg

#8 Fred C

Fred C

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austin, Texas

Posted 10 January 2005 - 08:54 PM

The remote unlocks the drivers door only. However, today the locks worked properly a few times.

Does the key unlock them all?

#9 rweddy

rweddy

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,408 posts
  • Castle Rock, CO

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:52 PM

The remote unlocks the drivers door only. However, today the locks worked properly a few times.

I had the same issue with my 96 OBW.
They worked great when cold and would work spartically at best.
I ended up finding the fix for the issue, takes about hour to fix it.
Here is my write up, let me know if you have any more ?

http://www.rweddysol...ubaru96fix.html

#10 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,342 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:24 AM

Good post Richard. I remember seeing before now that I look at it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users