Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about snow driving/snow tires

You are going to be pleasantly surprised how well that car is in the snow Pinksoad3. Just remember to not get over confident when you see how well it does. Hitting slippery spots can still get you trouble. I also would recommend you get some good snow tires for car for the mountain trips. The best way to go is to get an extra set of rims to put them on for easy changing. The Blizzacks work very well but if you get them, try to keep them on only when needed for the snow trips since they wear pretty fast on normal road conditions. Good tires will set you back some money but they can save you from possible disaster also.

I had an '88 GL-10 for many years here in Alaska. The only time I had any trouble is when I had the summer tires on when the snow first hit the ground. I did a 180 in the middle of the road. Fortunately, I didn't hit anything in the process.

• 3 months later...

Most of this has already been said, but to recap:

1) Get good snow tires. They are what holds you to the road.

2) practice loosing control in a snow covered parking lot if you've never driven on snow before.

3) make sure you have weight over the rear wheels, and learn to use engine braking

4) test the road. The first thing I do after leaving my house in the winter and pulling out onto the road is get to what I think is a safe speed, then jam on the brakes to see exactly how much traction I really have (obviously with no other cars around, and somewhere safe to slide a bit). Often I decide to slow down a bit more.

5) watch out for other lunatics driving around and sliding into you in big SUV's with bald tires and too much horsepower.

6) don't be over confident, but don't panic either.

7) try to keep it in 2wd as long as possible. Then you always know you can put it in 4wd and get out when you get stuck. I don't always stick to this rule myself, but it's a good one.

8) Chains are more for low speed trudging through unplowed snow. Probably not needed if you are on plowed roads/highways. Subaru has a good 4wd system that usually doesn't let you down till you loose ground clearance. However --- practice putting chains on, and driving in some snow with them. That way if you do get stuck in a drift and need them, you aren't seeing them for the first time.

9) carry a small shovel. It sucks to use your hands to try to dig out.

you're gonna want to invest in nokian wr's. i live in vancouver, bc...so our conditions are quite alike. i took my 2000 legacy gt into the mountain in the okanagan last year on christmas day....driving the unplowed roads with those tires was one of the best gifts i've ever had! :)

they set me back $1K canadian...but they have a guarantee of 100,000km's.

i can't wait to hit the slopes this year....these tires take all the stress out of getting to the hill.

The best way to drive is exactly backwards to the way you learned. Drive at normal speeds, visibility allowing, always remembering that not all those around you are driving Subies. Do not push in the clutch and hit the brakes because you will slide like any other car. Push the brakes as hard as you want while in 4WD and in gear, but let off the brakes before pushing the clutch.

As everyone else is telling you, find a spot to figure out how it works and get used to it, so you don't have to find out the 'hard' way.

• 1 month later...

I gained my knowledge of snow driving skills by taking out my 240SX in the dead of winter. I now know why people like those cars for drifting so much. That is the squirrelli-est car EVER. That little RWD nightmare has tons of torque, wide (bald) tires and ZERO weight in the back end. It will pull a 180 at 25 (in 4th gear at 1300 RPM) with no warning. The four big, non-ABS discs really helped my understanding of braking on ice. It was a good lesson for someone like me, who has had their driver's license for six months. It sure made me a less cocky driver.

So, really my point is, try driving a car that's terrible in the snow, you'll develop good emergency skills and become less cocky.