Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'93 Subaru legacy brake grinding

I have a '93 subaru legacy front wheel drive wagon. A few mo. ago i noticed a grinding sound comming from the front drivers side when I braked. The grinding was not there through out the braking just in the last few rotations. I replaced the brake pads and the rotor which seemed to be fine in the first place but I didn't know what else could be causing it; the grinding is still there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The grinding is happening only when I break and only @ the last few feet/revolutions. I put new pads and rotor on about a month ago although I have only drove it a few times since because I'm trying to get it ready to sell and this is my only hang up.

I have a 1990 fwd legacy and it has made the same type of noise in the past. It just happens randomly, no reason other than maybe there was something between the pad and rotor. I had them checked after I heard the noise, and they were still good. Had the rotors recently turned, that seems to have helped a bit.

I have same thing on my 93 AWD Wagon. I replaced the rotors and pads in 10/03, but it wasn't till this summer that I noticed the noise. I pulled everything this fall and resprayed the back of the pads with more stop squeek stuff, and no change. The rotors looked great...

I think that it's just the composition of the pads, etc. I used some semi-metallic's from Auto Zone. Nothing else I can think of...