Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Car smokes on left hand on ramps.

My 86 wagon smokes on right hand on ramps, but not left hand turns. For you folks that are familiar with Washington, it is the on ramp off of west bound 18 onto south bound 167. Right when I hit 167 and trying to get some speed it starts spewing THICK smoke out the tail pipe. That is the only turn it does it on. The carbed 1.8 only has 120,000 miles on it and does not hardly use any oil.

Anyone know what the problem is?

YaY Bonney Lake!!!! Actually I'm from Burlington.. near Mt.Vernon. I live in Colville now (70 miles north of Spokane). Ya know replace the PCV valve is a good idea. I do have a question for you though... First this is an EA82? and have you tried going straight uphill (with no turns on a steep grade) to see if it is still smoking? Do you smell oil burning when you get out of the car or notice any smoke from under the hood? Oil dripping on the Y connector can cause that. let us know....... Boing

HHHMMMMM. I hear what you folks are saying and agree with the PCV issue. But this is a right hand turn and PCV is on the left side of the engine, so if I do a right turn all the oil should be pulled to the left side of the car towards the PCV. I could totally understand if the PCV was on the right side or I was making a left turn.

I will have some extra time Saturday morning to fiddle with it.

I just noticed the title of my thread reads "left turn" I ment my other left. Sorry.

sorry Greg the problem

has nothing to do with the PVC location

it's all about the cam cover on the outside of the engine on the turn.

The breather ingests the oil and it is sucked into the intake

manifold - burned - and the plume of smoke is the result.

Maybe you could mimic the fix Subaru came up with

but

Please be aware if you create excess crankcase pressure

you risk the chance of blowing the cam and other seals out.

Yea, I agree. I just wanted to pry just a bit deeper to make sure. Thanks.

I will fart around with it tommorrow. I am not to embarrased when it happens, I just don't want to wreck from laughing so hard at the people behind me. :lol: