Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all;

I need a 101 course in AT for my '99 Outback.

1. Where is the transmission oil filter located? Inside the pan? How difficult is to change it.

2. Right by the tranny there is a filter similar with the regular engine oil filter, what is this? And what part?

3. What AT fluid should I use? Where I can get it from? How about fluids for fron/read differentials.

4. How can I changed the front differential fluid? I could not located the draining plug.

Thanks a lot.

Dan

PS: I tried to ask these questions to the local subaru dealer. Needless to say that I got no answers. I guess I can't totally blame those guys, they need to make a living.

The tranny set up is like the engine. Seperate filter and drain plug.

Dexron II or III will suffice. I'll be using a Mobil Synthetic equivalent.

On my 2000 Outback, I'm just wondering how much fluid will I lose when draining. I know the entire system has 9 litres total, but not sure about just the pan.

Does the filter need to have fluid inside prior to installing?

I know that the filter should hold about 1/2 quart (liters?) Basically when you remove the pan and the filter, you're removing almost all of the fluid. When you're filling. put all but one quart into the tranny and start the motor and drive it for about 10 minutes or so. let it sit with the motor off for about 3 minutes and check the fluid. If its low, put about a half quart into the tranny and do it again but you only need to drive it around the block. After it sits check it again and add however much it seems to need. Now after you've driven it for a few days, check the fuild again and add if needed (sometimes there'll be a pocket of air in the lines and it needs to bleed itself out like a coolant system)

The pan does have a drain plug. Is just that the filter on the side of the tranny, somebody says (a tech guy) that it does not need to be changed unless the tranny is worked on. The same person says that there is a metal screen inside the pan that needs to be cleaned/changed when servicing the tranny.

Anyone with facts about this?

Thanks,

Dan