Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks for your help! He has had such bad experiences with the dealer, that he refuses to go back. He has even stated that if he has to go back to the dealer that he will never get another Subaru. Is that a common failure/leak? I have not seen any other mention of it.

On older engines with a lot of miles its pretty common, thats a little early for an 01 unless its got a lot of miles. Why not try another dealer? If its under 60,000 miles its probably covered under the powertrain warenty....If not anyh shop should be able to do it, i haven't worked on the H6 so i don't know how much room is in there and how much that would run.

• 5 years later...

So, 5 years after this thread was started, is there anybody with experience replacing the H6 valve cover gaskets. Mine are leaking on both sides although I also thought it might be head gasket as there is also fluid leaking from the front of the engine. I'll try to get it up on stands and take a photo when It's back from the body shop. Looks to be coolant although there doesn't seem to be coolant in the exhaust or oil in the coolant. 02 Outback Sedan. 150,000Km on it. Any thoughts on how big of job, if I have to pull engine to do it etc.

you don't have to pull the engine to do the valve covers, they do take awhile as they're very tight to get to. get a 10mm ratcheting wrench if you don't want to spend 10 hours doing it.....i'm pretty sure they're 10mm?

find out where the coolant is coming from. there's a coolant line coming off the bottom of the engine that runs over to an oil cooler fitted inline with the oil pump. that line carries coolant and can leak.

if you really do need a headgasket job and are going to get it done, then wait to do the valve cover gaskets as they'd be much easier to do with the engine out of the car, which it's going to come out for a head gasket job.

headgasket are really rare on that motor, i've only seen it once from another board member.

*** you mention body shop - was it in a wreck? if so definitely check the coolant hoses, radiator, and that lower coolant line to the oil cooler.