Ultimate Subaru Message Board

%#@ing alternator!

For the second time in a year my alternator has died. Coming home from Andrews place it started to freak out :banghead:

Explanation:

It happened on the freeway, the dash idiot lights started kinda glowing and the voltmeter dropped (in 5th gear)

I downshifted to 4th and the volts went back up... so I limped it home watching the voltmeter and turning off unnecessary stuff like the radio and heat/vent fan.

I had to sit at red lights at 3000 RPM to keep the volts up... if there had been any hondas out they probably woulda thought I was trying to race or something

Good news... FREE replacements for life from Autozone :clap:

It just bothers me that they fail that easy. Then again mine is exposed to extreme use, I bet all the high revving isnt easy one on it :D

I guess I am pimpin in the BRAT tomorrow :headbang:

hmm thats no good Mike. Was there ny sign of it on the way to Andrew's from Jason's house? It didn't seem like it but maybe I was still kinda waiting for the rest of my beer to wear off. heheh, oh well. I guess free replacement is better than having to pay for a new one.........................maybe you should pull the XT6 alternator at the yard tomorrow when you go back to look for Andrew's phone:brow: :banana::drunk:

naaa.... if I had money I may think about it... but I'd rather get a rebuilt XT6 alternator instead... free XT6's alternators for life :D

There were slight signs after salem... I was trying to figure out why the light sources were varying alot... at first I thought it was other cars going over bumps... but it was really my volts shaking around and the lights getting dim and bright....

I am just glad I made it home and didnt run low volts all the way back and drain my battery to nothing.

At least in my brat with a carb engine, with no alternator. The wire on the back of mine melted for some weird reason and I drove over 100 miles on just the battery. I had to use no accessories at all. The first indication it gave was that the radio quit working.

If your battery is fairly old I would think about replacing it also with the new alternator. A bad battery can over work an alternator. I would at least have the battery condition checked and if it was less than top shape I would replace it. Make sure all the connections are clean and tight and also check the fuselinks connection to make sure it is not loose.

Doing these things will help insure a long lasting charging system.

I agree with Caboobaroo about the voltage drop check. This is a fast way to check the connection between the alternator and the battery.

To check the drop, measure the voltage between the alternators output terminal and the positive battery post (not the cable clamp). Have the headlights and the heater fan on high to give a good load to the system. The engine should be running around 2,000 rpm. You should not have more than around .1 volt of drop between the two points. You can also check the ground cable the same way.

How much oil does your engine have in the engine compartment? Nothing does in an alternator like a thick covering of oil. Also, I've found the after market rebuilds are chancey at best. I have guy in Ballard who does a thorough rebuild. He's pricey and there's no lifetime warranty, but I keep going back to him whenever an alternator fails in one of my cars (doesn't mean repeat visits with the same alternator!).

Ed, I know that Flows engine compartment is clean as a whistle. Mine on the other hand was covered from top to bottom with grease and oil (due to a bad crank seal). So I don't think that grease is an issue in his case. He did tell me today that the bearings in his last alternator went out and thats why he had to replace it. I thinkits just because AutoZone can't rebuild alternators good enough to last............:rolleyes: