Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HiHi, I'm New...1991 Subaru Loyale Questions...Please Help!!!

I own a 1991 1.8 liter Subi Loyale and I was wondering about an easy engine switch... a crank bearing blew and I'm looking to make this car perform... hopefully even rally... also any advice on a tranny to go with would be great... I had to rebuild that ridiculous 3 gear auto transmission about a year ago, but of course I don't have any intentions of sticking with it... argh!! I have a love-hate relationship with my poor baby... I love how fun it can be to drive... but hate the fact that it has no cup holders or a tape deck in the stock radio... ahhh, so many memories of being stuck on the side of a freeway waiting for the tow truck to revive my car... or take it home... I figure... with everything that has gone wrong with it, the only thing left was the engine... heheh... anywho, I guess one more thing... I have an FF subi and also was thinking of making it 4WD... heck, I might as well break the bank... alright, I'm done... Thank You All!! I Love My Car!!!!

Start with Northguy's advice.... what are you going to do with this thing?

Finding another EA82 SPFI to swap in should not be a problem. Finding one worth swaping in might be tougher :) Might as well ditch that 3AT at the same time and to 4WD Dual Range. Problem going 4WD now is that you have to swap the rear end out. (this is a 2WD right? Not the 4AT 4WD Single Range?) Going 2WD to 4WD is a lot of work.

A lot of work for an old goat of a car. I've done pretty much everything listed above and more. (except I swaped a 5MT 2WD for 5MT 4WD) Prolly should have started with a 4WD Dual Range to begin with. I didnt have the luxaury of doing that however.

Now also take into consideration I did this all on my "toy". I did not have to worry about getting to work Monday while doing these very extensive mods and swaps. 90% of the parts I got were from junkyards so that kept cost down.

They sky is the limit!!!! (actuall your budget and time are; but that doesnt sound as cool =P )

Well, I think I'm aiming for a good, powerful, offroading kind of vehicle that still can give a civic or accord a good whippin' on the streets if need be... Possibly the EA82T with the 4WD 5SPD Dual Range... not exactly sure how to go about the actual 2WD to 4WD process... I don't mind adding some extra weight though... Anyway, I was also thinking that instead of the Turbo version of my engine, maybe the ER27... I think it would just rock If I could manage to squeeze it in... But, if there is some other engine that could possibly fit... Please, anyone, fill me in!!!

I know it's kinda weird that I would go through so much trouble for such an unremarkable car, but where I'm from, I've only seen about 2 others like it (maybe there's a reason... but anywho) and I want to leave an impression on the other cars that I leave in the dust...brow.gif

Mr. Chan

With money and ambition your goal can be realized.

You may want to consider finding a wrecked WRX better yet an STi WRX

This power plant and drive train with the proper massaging will yield your dreams.

Mr. Chan

With money and ambition your goal can be realized.

You may want to consider finding a wrecked WRX better yet an STi WRX

This power plant and drive train with the proper massaging will yield your dreams.

Actually, That's Miss Chan...biggrin.gif... But anywho... I was thinking of that too, but I know they can come pretty pricy... it would be just AWSOME if I could do that!