Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Synthetic in tranny voids warranty?

I don't know for certain, but with all the problems they had/have with the 5spd in the WRX it wouldn't suprise me that doing anything other than what they tell you to would void the warrenty. The transmission relies on the friction in the fluid for the snycros to work. Some synthetics of the same weight do not have the same friction as the same weight conventional. Most of the time you have to add a friction modifier to get it correct. For that reason alone I could see why Subaru would void warrenty on that. I peronally won't run synth in a tranny for that reason. The tranny doesn't see the dirt like an engine does, so running a snythetic doesn't really give you much in a tranny.

Keith

Personally I think the dealer is full of it.

Unless it specifically states not to use synthetic in the transmission I don't see why you couldn't be able to. I'd try email subaru of america directly and ask them what their official stance is.

Dealers are notorious for making up stupid things like this.

Dealers are notorious for making up stupid things like this.

This is a very good point. I had someone at a dealership try to claim that installing a bra on car would void the engine warrenty. He said it was because someone told him it can restrict the air flow to the engine.

Total BS

• 2 months later...

Finally, here is the response that I got from Subaru of America on this topic.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Subaru of America does not recommend synthetic gear oil for the transmission or rear differential in your 2005 WRX Wagon. This is because we have not tested synthetic gear oil in our vehicles. It is not that we are stating that it would cause a problem; it is just that we cannot state that it will not cause a problem.

If you were to use synthetic gear oil in your WRX, your warranty would not be automatically voided. However, any problems caused by synthetic gear oil would not be covered by your warranty, as again we have not tested this and cannot recommend it.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again.

Sounds to me like they are saying that if anything goes wrong, they'll just blame it on your choice of fluid.

For engine oil, they usually state in the book, "Only use oil that meets or exceeds API yadda, yadda, yadda." I would think if it stated the same thing for the gear oil, then you would be covered as long as the synthetic meets those minimums.

Why is synthetic STILL under suspiscion? Why do most people believe that synthetic means less friction? Synthetic just means that's is built to a specific quality from the bottom up.

The Castrol TAF-X that I use to very good effect in my gearbox has friction "designed in" to allow weak synchro rings to work faster. I use Syntrax in the rear diff, since it doesn't need friction, just plain lubrication.

As I see it, synthetics have two main advangtages: Their characteristics are specifically programmed and they have the potential to last longer than a mineral equivalent.

ya what the heck is the world waiting for, catch up, i mean come on now! synthetic oil, gear or motor or whathaveyou, is made from specific base stocks of, you guessed it, OIL!!! they separate oil from the ground by the properties they(manufacturer) want in their oils, then voila, add in a dash of this and a dash of that, BOOM! you have an oil that doesnt degrade under high heat and lasts longer, its basically a sophisticated form of quality control, just lots of it, AMAZING!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...