Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Auto Legacy with stuck key

Hi all, I just bought this real clean Legacy but the key stopped working. It wont come out at all. I have put it in park 100 times and jiggled the steering wheel etc etc. Everthing other than attempted removal works great and the guy before had no issues with the key. there is a small solenoid on top of the ignition tunnel but I can't figure out how to remove it. I ordered a new lock but I am concerned its the solenoid. Anyone know how to remove this? Also, if I have to replace the lock do I need a right angle drill to drill those sheared bolts off or is there some trick to tilting the steering column down enough to use a regular drill? thanks!

Pull the bottom trim, if you haven't already. Look for a black two wire plug. These wires go to the coil to release the key. Check for a complet path. Then try putting 12V and a ground to the plug. This should release the Key. If that fails, look at the lock assy. You will see a small rod which you can push back. If that works, leave the black plug disconnected and you are done. Just make sure you put it in park, as you will now be able to remove the key in any gear.

I used to have a camaro where the keys would fall out of the ignition all the time. After a while I could start the car without the keys. I had to get rid of that car because a radiator fan (metal) broke off and sliced through every hose in my car (really) and a BIG F'n wire harness.

Then I had my 88 Jeep Cherokee that I couldn't get the key out of the ignition no matter what I did. I had to take a hammer to the steering column to get to the push rod that controlled the ignition.

Tell the women to take all that crap off their rear-view mirrors and keychains.

Pull the bottom trim, if you haven't already. Look for a black two wire plug. These wires go to the coil to release the key. Check for a complet path. Then try putting 12V and a ground to the plug. This should release the Key. If that fails, look at the lock assy. You will see a small rod which you can push back. If that works, leave the black plug disconnected and you are done. Just make sure you put it in park, as you will now be able to remove the key in any gear.

I can't find a button or a rod to push back but I also havent removed the bottom trim as I think the steering wheel needs to be removed. I think that solenoid is on top of the key . I will try to attach pic. Can you tell me if that is it? thanks!

post-9243-136027598502_thumb.jpg

Tried that button and tried 'jumping" the solenoid and neither worked. Must be the tumblers? thanks!

• 3 weeks later...