Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4x4 Weekend in Iowa (pics posted)

mcbrat

After seeing the pics of your BRAT on 30"s I want to go so bad! Finished putting in the lift kit on my wagon about 20 minutes ago with some friends. Still a lot of work before she is highway worth :(

I would still love to swing down to Iowa. I go several times a year anyhow and know my way around well enough to meet some people. October is looking like a more realistic time go on a trip.

Would anyone else be in for a midwest get-together in October? Nothing formal or fancy (if thats possible in a Subaru? :D ) maybe just camping and offroading?

I'm all for another midwest gathering. Sadly, my little sube is not up to the kind of trails it seems the ORV park is made up of. (correct me if I'm wrong, Mick....)

But a gathering mid October, maybe some lightcore wheelin' (if it can be found) sounds awesome. Include me in!

:clap:

Mick, What ride are you taking? Grizz, or the new toy?

After looking again at the vehicle guidelines, the only thing Eyesore is really missing are the tow points, a C.B., and the driver accessable fire extinguisher. If the verdict is good, (for easier trails) I may have to outfit the old girl and join the club next year!

got the Brat back last night with a nice set of new bumpers front/rear, a modified large Gen1 Skidplate, reinforced diff hanger (not installed)

had some trouble with the ignition switch, and accidently launched the car (I always park in Neutral, but welder guy had it in 1st) while I was kneeling on the pavement with my body in the drivers side floor area. nothing like a little skin loss from scraping your knee across the cement! really stinging today!

got my wiring runs in last night and fuse/relay panel made.

(found a nice way to get power to the bed area without drilling any holes, or going through a window....)

Still left to do before Friday:

install fuse panel

connect relays

install slant radio console with stock radio and lighted switches

install XT6 alt

install skid plate spacer

paint bumpers/skid plate

adjust off-road lights

install jump seat frame and jump seats

pack, pack, pack

I went down through the rubber plug near the vacuum pumps, then down along the other wiring harness under the sill cover trim, then up underneath the side trim behind the seats, where there is a hole into the "cavity" between the bed and the external sheetmetal. then I came through the first acces panel. I took the acess panel off, and used a ball peen hammer with the panel sitting across 2 pieces of wood, and hammered out a bulge in the panel edge (after flattening the edge). panel now mounts back in perfectly, and there's just a little bump out where the wires come through.

I guess by "no holes" I should have said "no drilling"

Guest subu luvr

here's mud in their eye

still rolling around on my back under the car, aint going no where

unless its junkyard or parts store..

have a sandblaster, and fibreglas, gotta fix the rear quarters.

mount tow hooks

fire-stinger is mounted though as is cb

*sigh*

I'm back. had a great time. unfortunately I found out that even though my camera can see all 528MB of the CF card, it cannot write to all of it... :(

went through some nasty stuff alright. the first hill climb we did, I couldn't make. not enough power, and the soil is like powder at this place....

made some other climbs though. had the motor die twice on me due to the angle :) down and to the side. could reach out and touch the ground both places :) but no body damage :) lots of tree scratches the. narrow quad trails. not a real good place for full size rigs. I did lose one front turn signal when I was abruptly halted on a hill climb when my front end dropped intoa hole...

will post some pics later. a few hill climb shots of some built jeeps, and some still shots of the different rigs.

41 vehicles showed up.

1 Sammy

1 Subaru

1 scout (originally :D )

many jeep flavors

many Chevy flavors

many Ford flavors

not sure yet if anybody else got any pics of Grizz2. Little one liked most of it, except when I rammed my front end into the hill, and lifted the back end off the ground. he got upset at that point, but was okay afterward when he showed another little boy where we broke the turn signal :)

of course after the first hill climb I couldn't make it up, he kept saying he wanted a jeep so we'd have more power to make it up the hill :( traitor.....

were were moving through stuff continously... so only stopped a few times. and the only other camera I saw was the guy who was usually standing next to me waiting to take a pic....

some of the s%&t I went through was nasty. to the point of after successfully making it through, when I stopped to take some pics (camera not working anymore) my hands/arms were still shaking from the intensity of it.... pucker factor... at one point I thought the drivers side door would get a hole ripped in it from a cut off root.... went off the scale on the inclinometer I had with me...