Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We've been getting really bad gas mileage and a sort of sputtering idle, which I know probably means that we need to get the fuel injection system cleaned. We don't have the money to get it done yet, so I'm wondering if anyone knows if one of the bottles of fuel additive that is supposed to clean the injection system will actually help us until we can get it done?

Thanks for any info!

yes they can. i've heard and done myself (not claiming i have any scientific proof or that i even heard this from a reliable person but i've done it) that it's best to use more than *one bottle* of the typical off the shelf products. of course my car has a huge gas tank (15.9 gallons). but even still, i've used up to 3 or 4 bottles at a time before. maybe that's a bad idea, but i've done it and my fuel injection is all stock at 207,000 miles i've never touched anything on it. ah...that's a lie my fuel pump did drip some around 190,000 miles so i replaced it. it worked fine, i assume all the rust got the worst of it.

has any other work ever been done to the car?

i'd think simple stuff before having the fuel injection "cleaned".

how many miles do you have? what work has been done to it?

O2 sensor

air filter

fuel filter

tune up - plug wires, spark plugs, rotor, distributor cap (if you have one)

if you have an Idle Air Control valve - spraying it out with a 2 dollar can of electrical contact cleaner will smooth up idles.