Ultimate Subaru Message Board

URGENT - I'm stuck with timming belt issue & wife wants car.

Hi Helpers,

Its Sat morning and about to continue replacing timing belt when I am confronted with the pullys don't line up. I can get all 4 cam pullys to line up but crank is always sitting at about 2-3 o'clock. Turn crank 2 turns and same thing, cam pullys line up but not crank. If I understand it it won't matter how many times I rotate crank every two time it will be the same??

RH.jpg.

LH.jpg

crank.jpg

I am sure nothing moved taking crank pully off.. but then we all know things happen. Any advice. Do I line up cam pullys and then move crank to where manual says it should be and put on new belt.

Edit - Just noticed the mark on the plate behind belt - is that the line up? Saw several of them and only one mark on crank pully so thought it must be front one......

CRUNCH

Yes, you want the one on the back of the crank pully, not the triangle on the front face. Don't rush the job, or you'll be back in there. Make sure you bleed the coolant system well!

Hi Helpers,

Its Sat morning and about to continue replacing timing belt when I am confronted with the pullys don't line up. I can get all 4 cam pullys to line up but crank is always sitting at about 2-3 o'clock. Turn crank 2 turns and same thing, cam pullys line up but not crank. If I understand it it won't matter how many times I rotate crank every two time it will be the same??

RH.jpg.

LH.jpg

crank.jpg

I am sure nothing moved taking crank pully off.. but then we all know things happen. Any advice. Do I line up cam pullys and then move crank to where manual says it should be and put on new belt.

Edit - Just noticed the mark on the plate behind belt - is that the line up? Saw several of them and only one mark on crank pully so thought it must be front one......

CRUNCH

Thanks Imdew,

Saw several of those marks on back plate as turning crank so that threw me off...... Showed wife images and said you pick :) Shes' great, smiled gave me a kiss and said take your time. Of course it could be she thinking he saving me $500.00 doing it himself, when I get the car back I can go to the mall...

Crunch