Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I need help with a wierd problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 91' loyale man

91' loyale man

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Arcata, Ca

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:34 PM

If my distributor cap, rotor and coil is freid would that at all mess up the alternator. My car is not starting and the freid coil is obviously the problem but when it was running my battery was dieing when i turn the wheel. All the red dash lights would go on as well any takes on the problem?

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:39 PM

All the little red warning lights on (or glowing dimly) whenever the ignition is on, indicate a bad alternator. That would also cause your battery to not re-charge. Most auto parts shops will test the alternator for free; of course, they'd like you to buy their alternator so shop around by 'phone first for the best price and availability of an alternator. Be prepared to shell out for a battery too at this time of year.[quote name='91' loyale man]If my distributor cap' date=' rotor and coil is freid would that at all mess up the alternator. My car is not starting and the freid coil is obviously the problem but when it was running my battery was dieing when i turn the wheel. All the red dash lights would go on as well any takes on the problem?[/QUOTE']

#3 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 08 January 2005 - 02:41 PM

Re-reading your post; I would suspect a short in the switch cluster around the steering post if it's shorting internally when you turn the wheel.[quote name='91' loyale man]If my distributor cap' date=' rotor and coil is freid would that at all mess up the alternator. My car is not starting and the freid coil is obviously the problem but when it was running my battery was dieing when i turn the wheel. All the red dash lights would go on as well any takes on the problem?[/QUOTE']

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:00 PM

sounds like an alternator problem. have it and your battery tested. bad alternators aren't good for batteries and bad batteries aren't good for alternators.

always make sure your connections are good and tight at the battery and the alternator. old, corroded or loose connections can cause bad battery and bad alternator symptoms. they can also make your battery or alternator go bad prematurely. my parents just replace their 10 year old battery in their van. just keep your connections clean and tight.

#5 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

is it possible the car was idling when the turning of the st. wheel caused the light show?

If so maybe the alt belt is loose and the ps pump load slowed it to a point where the output was too low?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users