Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need help with a wierd problem

If my distributor cap, rotor and coil is freid would that at all mess up the alternator. My car is not starting and the freid coil is obviously the problem but when it was running my battery was dieing when i turn the wheel. All the red dash lights would go on as well any takes on the problem?

All the little red warning lights on (or glowing dimly) whenever the ignition is on, indicate a bad alternator. That would also cause your battery to not re-charge. Most auto parts shops will test the alternator for free; of course, they'd like you to buy their alternator so shop around by 'phone first for the best price and availability of an alternator. Be prepared to shell out for a battery too at this time of year.

If my distributor cap' date=' rotor and coil is freid would that at all mess up the alternator. My car is not starting and the freid coil is obviously the problem but when it was running my battery was dieing when i turn the wheel. All the red dash lights would go on as well any takes on the problem?[/quote']

Re-reading your post; I would suspect a short in the switch cluster around the steering post if it's shorting internally when you turn the wheel.

If my distributor cap' date=' rotor and coil is freid would that at all mess up the alternator. My car is not starting and the freid coil is obviously the problem but when it was running my battery was dieing when i turn the wheel. All the red dash lights would go on as well any takes on the problem?[/quote']

sounds like an alternator problem. have it and your battery tested. bad alternators aren't good for batteries and bad batteries aren't good for alternators.

always make sure your connections are good and tight at the battery and the alternator. old, corroded or loose connections can cause bad battery and bad alternator symptoms. they can also make your battery or alternator go bad prematurely. my parents just replace their 10 year old battery in their van. just keep your connections clean and tight.