Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Impreza power steering question

I have a 97 Impreza Outback. The power steering just vanished one day last week. I brought it by a generic shop where they diagnosed a dead pump by an interesting looking method. After screwing around for several days they claim they can't find one. I called a local dealer parts dept. where I was told they have never sold one before and that I should call back Monday to talk to their main tech. before ordering it. No fluid loss. I don't want to order a pump if it could be the rack. Help?

You could check the pressure out of the pump by tapping into the pressure line with a gauge. Or you can pull the return line and see if fluid is being pumped back to the PS unit.

If you find out you need a pump, I have a good one from a 96 Legacy wagon 2.2 motor. I believe they are the same. $30+shipping. I also have a good rack, but I don't know about the interchange.

Lmdew@hotmail.com

The mechanic that looked at it took both lines off, filled it with fluid and ran the engine. He coverered both ports with a rag and removed it once it was running. Nothing that looked like pressurized flow from it. I don't know how the pump works or what should happen under those conditions so wasn't sure. The dealers parts guy said they never go out so I was dubious. It just quit all at once with no noise or erratic behaviour beforehand.

He also said that they used that pump only on 97 and 98 models so yours might not match. None around locally new anyways so I guess I continue with the forearm building program for awhile longer.

Thanks for the reply.

You could check the pressure out of the pump by tapping into the pressure line with a gauge. Or you can pull the return line and see if fluid is being pumped back to the PS unit.

If you find out you need a pump, I have a good one from a 96 Legacy wagon 2.2 motor. I believe they are the same. $30+shipping. I also have a good rack, but I don't know about the interchange.

Lmdew@hotmail.com