Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how much to replace clutch, '97 OBW

Fellers,

Clutch is slipping on my OBW, 5 speed MT with 238k miles (not bad for original clutch). How much should I expect to spend at the dealer to replace clutch? Is this a tuff job or could I trust another shop to do this?

thanks

Tdog

each dealer is different with rates probably around $800, just a guess, i'm sure any side auto shop could do it for a bit cheaper but hey the mileage is awesome keep on going, there is a subaru site called the subaru high mileage club you should join with the mileage you have, good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

clutch is nothing spectacular, just a cumbersome job because either the trans or motor has to come out. i'd avoid the dealer like the plague personally...actually i avoid them all and do it myself. but i do know a very reputable transmission shop in town that has been around for 20 or 30 years so i would tell someone to take it to them.

dude that's nuts - 238,000 on the original clutch?

dude that's nuts - 238,000 on the original clutch?

I bought the car at 181k miles, the first and original owner drove the car one way 70 miles to work on the highway so the clutch wear has been minimal. My mixed driving is probably what has wore it down.

tdog

I wouldnt take it to a dealership. Their shops will cost you more than others for sure. If you cant do it yourself (about 80% of the cost you're paying is labor btw) I'd take it to a tranny shop- their prices are probably up there as well but shouldnt be as much as the dealership.