Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

amp. output of XT turbo alt?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:45 PM

my alt. died while wife was driving it home from work. swaped a battery to limp it home. today went to wrecking yard and founds a XT turbo Alt. grabed it and made a small bracket to install it and a shortened pully spacer. seems to charge ok now but does anyone know what they are rated at as far as amp output?

I know I was stressing the old stock one with the sterio equipment and fog lights. I want to make sure this one will hold up better.

thanks in advance for any info.

#2 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 08 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

my alt. died while wife was driving it home from work. swaped a battery to limp it home. today went to wrecking yard and founds a XT turbo Alt. grabed it and made a small bracket to install it and a shortened pully spacer. seems to charge ok now but does anyone know what they are rated at as far as amp output?

I know I was stressing the old stock one with the sterio equipment and fog lights. I want to make sure this one will hold up better.

thanks in advance for any info.

I know its a little more than a standard alt. but don't know by how mush. I have been thinking about using an xt alt. also because of the cb radio i have uses ALOT of power

#3 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts
  • Apalachicola Natl Forest

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:19 PM

From all I've read, the XT series alternators are 90A.

#4 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:27 PM

How much is power does the standard produce? About 60-70amps?

#5 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:29 PM

EA series alternators are supposedly rated at 45A. However, before I did my 100A GM swap, I referenced the partnumber for what I was taking off, and it was labelled 65A. So I'd say 45-65A depending on the supplier/remanufacturer.

#6 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:35 PM

all EA series cars with EA engines are 63 amp alts, the XT-6 is a 90 amp unit thats from 80 newer, i can't speak to the pre 80 gen one cars

#7 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:57 PM

EA series alternators are supposedly rated at 45A. However, before I did my 100A GM swap, I referenced the partnumber for what I was taking off, and it was labelled 65A. So I'd say 45-65A depending on the supplier/remanufacturer.

How hard was it to swap in that 100 amp gm alt?

#8 RavenTBK

RavenTBK

Professional Auto Thief

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:26 AM

Extremely simple. Search for my thread on it.. its still pretty dang fresh.

I will now stop participating in the hijack of russ' thread.

Noah: I remember reading elsewhere that 45A is the standard. :shrug: I do know that my the one I took off the Brat was labelled 65A.. so that makes more sense. I consider myself enlightened.

#9 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:22 PM

ok this is what i found. old alt was running at 45 amps before failure. the new one tested at 60 amps today. that was of an 86 xt turbo internal fan unit.

I am still able to pull enough load at idle to pull the voltage down to battery level. this will work for now but will need to go biger soon.

thanks for the input guys.

#10 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,923 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:57 PM

XT Turbos sometimes have a 70, sometimes a 60 but its still better than the 50 or so that the ea81/ea82 carb one usually has. XT6 is 90 amp but serpentine belt always. The XT turbo sometimes has a v belt but usually a serp too. Be prepared to find a v belt pulley to bolt on, most alt shops will charge around 20 bucks to change it and will have to dig thru alot of bins before they find the right one. A Mazda or Mitsubishi car v belt pulley is said to work but I need to verify this.

#11 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:36 AM

XT Turbos sometimes have a 70, sometimes a 60 but its still better than the 50 or so that the ea81/ea82 carb one usually has. XT6 is 90 amp but serpentine belt always. The XT turbo sometimes has a v belt but usually a serp too. Be prepared to find a v belt pulley to bolt on, most alt shops will charge around 20 bucks to change it and will have to dig thru alot of bins before they find the right one. A Mazda or Mitsubishi car v belt pulley is said to work but I need to verify this.

thanks shawn,
I used my old pully and shortened the spacer off the original alt. it was a serpentine belt on the xt. the hard part was getting the spacer shortened evenly. at first it ws a bit wobbly.had to reshape it a few times. oh yeah and the brackets do not line up the same. the XT alt was actually smaller and needed an extension to bolt it to the adjuster side. gotta keep my eyes open for xt6 stuff. I have only seen one at the junk yards here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users