Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have accepted subaru as my savior

Hi there, i am new to the world of subarus but i am smitten with their engineering and design. I came across the following ad.

"sweet 99 subaru outback sport needs new home for cheap. - $6800

I'm gearing up for a move and am selling my 1999 Outback Sport. This is a great car. I love it. Specs:

pros:

power everything

2.2 liter (very fast) w/ 77.000 miles!

strong rack

5 speed manual

new tires

very clean

mostly highway miles

cons:

she has been driven and she shows it.

i got it from a family friend and it was hit just before I bought it.

the car is fixed but needs paint on the passenger door and front panel.

she has a re-constructed title (banks will still loan on the car!)

Pictures coming soon.

even with the body problems this car is cheap and a solid buy. "

At a glance how does it sound. I have'nt seen it, much less driven it, but just in terms of fair market price and expected longevity of this year and model would it be a wise choice for a starving student.Oh also are there mechnical gliches that tend to be common or chronic with these?...... again, thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the board. There are better buys out there. If you need help finding a good car in your neighborhood, give Richie rich a pm. He is a great and honest guy and he runs a Subaru shop in the Portland area, so he knows his stuff and hears about good deals all of the time.(I think his shop is something like Specialized Import Repair Service - SIRS).

Any time you buy a car with a rebuilt title you probably can get a secure loan for it. However, almost every auto insurance policy states in the fine print that for full coverage claims on a total they only have to pay 60% of the book value of the car.

When you buy a car that has been wrecked, the price should reflect it. Value does go down if a car had a salvaged title that was rebuilt. A replaced fender from a K-Mart mishap is not a big deal other than mismatched shades of paint. For a six year old car with a rebuilt title that still needs some cosmetic work, I think the price is a bit high.

I bought my 95 Legacy LSi wagon wrecked and had to get a rebuilt title for it. I did 90% of the repair work myself and I have a nice, solid Subaru with $1600 at the most invested in it. Doing repairs yourself is usually the only time a wrecked car can be a value.

If a wreck is rebuilt correctly, they can still be good cars. They will never be just the same in all little way, though. If fixed incorrectly (usually by someone wanting to turn a quick profit) they can be a nightmare to own.