Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MOAB meet April 15, 16, 17.

so it sounds like nobody but me can get down there till friday night, being that it'll be dark and all, there is a blm campground at big bend, just northeast of moab on rt 128. it's right on the river, should be easy to find in the dark, as long as you're good with a map, meet there friday night?

roc, i'll stop by on my way through and check out the hot turbo action. then i'll probobly go to junction to my bro in laws and find joel as well. looking forward to it. vroom vroom.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so it sounds like nobody but me can get down there till friday night, being that it'll be dark and all, there is a blm campground at big bend, just northeast of moab on rt 128. it's right on the river, should be easy to find in the dark, as long as you're good with a map, meet there friday night?

That'll work real well I'd say. We could do Top of the World while we're out that way and wouldn't hafta come into town on Sat morning, provided we all had enough gas.

hello, fellow southwesterners. i shall make an eager attempt to make repairs to my car in time for the trek across the great red rocks.

in other words...

count me in, im going!

i have some work to do on my car, but all should be done by leaving time. ill be bringing a friend most likely. I plan on camping wit 'chall and then maybe breaking off on my own to do some exploring on bike (or foot, if we lack room for bikes). methinks my car can do 3-rated trails, however i wont be pushin it. i gots no full-size spare so no craziness for me.

if its not too much to ask, could someone scan in a map of the area were camping at? i dont know that area at all and ill be pullin in at night most likely. thanks yall, hope to see lots o peeps there.

p.s.: count me out on bringin beer, im underage (duh) and i dont drink anyway. firewood is fine!

Heres a cool link, click more veiws, then click on the middle pic and zoom in on town. hwy 128 runs north east out of Moab, and follows the river. You'll see big bend.

http://www.ngmapstore.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=296&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=moab

I would recommend geting this map Moab North #500, and Moab South #501. It shows all the trails and roads in the area.

hI plan on camping wit 'chall and then maybe breaking off on my own to do some exploring on bike.

I'll have my bike as well, I can't go to Moab and leave it at home. Even if I don't end up riding trails there's always the late night campfire jump!

Big Bend is pretty easy to find, it's a BIG BEND in the river :)

7.5 miles from 191

blmriverway.jpg

For what it's worth...

I'll be in Moab later this week doing a bit of Jeeping (now the safari is over :D ). We are looking at doing some of the lesser traveled trails rather than the obligitory/more crowded, Hells, Poisen, Gold bar, Golden Spike, Fins, Kane, Steel bender...

Anyway the trails we plan on running are Tip Toe behind the rocks, Harrah Pass, Chicken Corners, Cliff hanger, 7 mile rim, Wipe out hill, Flat Iron mesa, 3-D, Top of the World via Onion Creek and Rose garden hill.

Most of these trails are rated fairly easy. I'll assess them for "Subability".

Not planning on bringing "Summer" on this trip. We'll be in your basic H2, Defender 90, Cherokee and exocage Toyota.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer--Summer

01 Forester

I am going to try to be there, it is a thousand miles each way. I've got the original PKmobile, '84 GL wagon, 3/2 lift, 14" pug steels, LSD. LSD is iffy, not sure its working, I might have the replacement in there by then.

I'd be leaving Mendocino Wednesday, should get me there by Friday. I'll know this week.

Straight from Mendo to Hwy 191 on Hwy 50 if anyone wants to meet up.

David

call me flaky, but i've decided im not going on the trek. theres a couple reasons for this change of plans including, of course, the original-flavored "my car isnt ready" excuse, as well as the good ol' "you see, there's this girl..." reasoning. either way, girls (esp. this one) takes presedence over a subaru trip any day for me, since im just a sucker like that. I hope you all understand. Have fun in my name, yalls.

skeet

ps: at least one of you has to take a massive amount of pictures.

um, based on that "sausage fest" comment, im thinking bringing a girl would be rather dangerous. like a hot female waltzing thru san quentin.

i really wish i could go, and if another SW trip arises i will be sure to ... take it into consideration (girls still take presedence).

Just got back from moab. :grin:

I can tell you that there's no way you guys are going to make "Gold Bar" work for lifted Subies :headbang: The first major obsticle is going to make any return trip a problem :eek:

I'd also suggest "Cliff Hanger" is out too. They have modified the dangerous obsticle on the edge of the cliff so that's not the problem any more, but the trail still poses problems for a non-geared Subie.

The only trail we ran that is Subable is "Kane Creek". This trail would have to be run top to bottom (backwards) with Subies. The only concern I would have is during one of the 40 river crossings, we found one that was over 3ft deep and fairly long. The problem here would be "floating" a Sub and loosing it to the river? Most of the other crossings were short enough that you wouldn't take much chance of floating away. :slobber: The cliffs on Kane could be dropped off but not re-climbed. That would be why you'd wanna start at "Hole in the Rock" and run that direction.

We went and found Upper Helldurado and now I know why it's a 4+ :eek:

I'll post some temp pics.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=584

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

do you think the river will have fallen enough by then to make that deep ford?

It'll be down. Moab got like the whole years worth of precip during Jeep Safari. That deep water is the result. As long as it doesn't start storming again down there it'll be fine.

It's also not a river. :)

It would be really hard to speculate on the run off situation down there.

I'd think the flow down Kane Creek would be determined by the temps in the Manti Lasal Mtms just to the east. Depending on the melt off the stream could go either way? The snow and rain from the Jeep Safari week was gone. Most of the trails were dusty although the pot holes in the rocks were somewhat full.

I'd still attempt Kane Creek (top to bottom) but talk to someone before you enter the canyon and walk any river sections in question. We were caught off guard by the one crossing. There were a bunch of drown ATV's trying to re-group and re-fire their ATV's at this crossing. The only help I can give you on finding this crossing is it was a right angle crossing NOT one of those where your driving in the river. Those never got over 2ft deep.

As long as your camping up the river, I'd take in Top of the World via Rose Garden and Onion Creek and bring your camera!

And once you get down you could take the back road in to Sand Flats Rd. and catch Porcupine Rim or Fins & Things. Both are dooable.

I'll be about 75 miles to the west ridin in the San Rafael Swell. If I can hook up I'd like to.

Glenn,

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Well it looks like I'm out. The Brats running like crap, I've had no time to shake down the lift install, I've no money in the slush fund and I haven't spent any time with my wife and son in the last 3 weeks. So it looks like it's up to one of you guys to get drunk and fall into the fire for me:drunk:

that's too bad roc i hope something happens and you change your mind. if it's any consolation, my car's been in the air for a week, and it doesn't want to come down anytime soon. i'm sure that i'll make it happen though.

so i'm a little worried cause roc's out, joel's car won't run right, don't tell me i'm throwing a party and nobody's coming. joel, what about your housemate? anyone else gonna show? mr. mendo? i've booked the rolling stones saturday night, please come.

what about this snow? you guys get hit up there? we're supposed to get 15 to 30 inches here but it's only raining now. this storm was passing through four corners at 6:00 tonight, i'll bet moab got some. i hope there's not another storm next weekend.

somebody say you're going.

wasteland, you have to go. you're the one with the book.