Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm looking to buy a used '02 WRX from a dealer and there are two things that are throwing me back a little:

1. There's a switch (covered by a red metal thing) on the console (well, near the shifter). I thought the previous owner had NoS but the dealer is claiming it's to turn off the ABS. Could that be true - and why would someone want to do that? Would that avoid the warranty (car has 48K miles on it)? I check in the trunk but didn't see any holes if they had NoS before. I checked the wire and it went to the fuse box.

2. The "Break" light went on - and sometimes off - when driving. I thought it was the manual break and I tugged it a few times but the light's still there. Dealer's saying that maybe break pads are running thin. What do you think?

3. On the A pillar (driver's side) that separates windshield from window/door, there are 3 gages, one for boos, one for oil and I forgot what the third one's for. Is that stock/factory option or something that's been installed by the driver after?

Please help me out as I liked this car overall except for the two things above. Is $14,200 a good price? I've told them I'll call them today with an answer. I just don't want to buy a modified car that's been used to race.

Thanks!

The brake warning light may have set a code that could be read. I very much doubt that the light turned on because of pad wear and it is a more serious problem.

Your statement about not wanting to buy a car that has been raced and you are looking at a car that really is meant for rally racing puzzles me. I doubt the car has been babied on the road.

Your statement about not wanting to buy a car that has been raced and you are looking at a car that really is meant for rally racing puzzles me. I doubt the car has been babied on the road.

Thanks Cougar! Well, I know it's meant for rally racing but I don't to get a car that would give me problems after a few months. There's a difference between racing by a 17 year old (no offense!) and a 30 year old.

I know what you mean. Unless you know the history of the car it can be kind of hard to tell at times how it has been treated. If you buy a used car you have to be ready for anything to happen. Hope this one works out ok for you if you end up getting it.

brake pads wear down and the caliper piston gets pushed out by brake fluid. this reduces the amount of fluid in the master cylinder and can cause the brake light to come on. and typically at the onset the brake light will come on and off as you're driving due to hills and turning, anything that shifts the fluid and triggers the sensor. like someone mentioned, just look at the brake fluid level. if it's close to "low" it probably just needs more fluid, this is totally normal. this would also indicate the pads are worn. inspect the brakes, if they are worn down and need replacment at 48,000 miles, that's a good indication that this car was driven aggressively, in heavy traffic or windy/mountain roads. not necessarily a bad thing, but like already mentioned i wouldn't expect it to be babied and this is probably the case on any used STi.

if you turn the wheels all the way to the left or right sometimes you can visually inspect the brake pads yourself. brake pads have a wear indicator on them, a small notch in the pads. once that notch has disappeared it's time to replace the pads. but i'm not familiar with the STi so i don't know that you can inspect them without removing a wheel.

Maybe the switch was for a stereo component, neons, things of that nature...

Also check the intake tube for holes that might have been filled in. This would be an indication of the use of a "dry" NOS system. Unless they were running a cold air intake and took it off before trading in the car. Just be sure the wire is propery terminated if not being used to avoid an electrical fire.

Best thing you can do it just follow the wires coming off the switch untill you hit paydirt..