Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which cars came stock with 3.9 LSDs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tom63050

Tom63050

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • St. Louis

Posted 09 January 2005 - 11:49 AM

I'd like to know this so that when I look at ads I can tell if the car has one. I really want one for my lifted Loyale and am willing to buy a whole car to get one, especially if it is a fuel-injected 86 or newer wagon. Then I can use the D/R 5-speed and have a spare motor too, plus all the little nickel-and-dime stuff. Basically my own compact junkyard.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,643 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:08 PM

try doing a search, you'll get tons of commentary on this subject.

easiest to get a 3.7 lsd and convert your existing open 3.9 using the internals of the 3.7. i believe there's information and a write up addressing this. do a search on this group and you'll have plenty to read for quite some time, with lots of lists of vehicles...

#3 GLCraig

GLCraig

Livin' the live

• Members
  • 2,706 posts
  • LV, Washington

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:12 PM

The parts books say that a 3.9 LSD was an option on the XT6 but no one on the board has actually seen one. All of the other LSDs will have a 3.7 ratio. Here's what's involved to take a 3.9 and making it an LSD using 3.7 LSD parts.

http://www.ultimates...rticle.php?a=36

#4 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:44 PM

The parts books say that a 3.9 LSD was an option on the XT6 but no one on the board has actually seen one. All of the other LSDs will have a 3.7 ratio. Here's what's involved to take a 3.9 and making it an LSD using 3.7 LSD parts.

http://www.ultimates...rticle.php?a=36

Correction, the parts page at Liberty Subaru states that, my Subaru Parts Book only shows that parts as a LSD rear diff, it doesn't give the ratio. I sent Liberty an e-mail asking them to verify that part number as being a 3.90 ratio. I'm not surprized that they haven't answered.

#5 ezapar

ezapar

[OWB]

• 27,086 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:47 PM

The parts books say that a 3.9 LSD was an option on the XT6 but no one on the board has actually seen one.

I've seen one. It was on/in a XT6 on it's way into Aaron's Auto Wrecking. Couple years ago.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,643 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:48 PM

best bet is to build one from a 3.7 lsd unit and an open 3.9.

keep your eye on ebay as well, but they'll go for 300+ and i've seen 2 in the past 2 years. you will likely wait a long time before you see one on there though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users