Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello! I am new to this site. We recently purchased a 1993 Impreza for our daughter. Only 23,000 original miles. (grandparents owned it) The radio does not turn on....no power. We have checked the fuse. It has been sitting in my mother in law's garage for a few years. Any suggestions? we have no idea what to do. Oh, the gas gage only works sometimes too!!!

Thank you!!

Welcome to the forum.

I would test for power at the back of the radio with a test light. If you have power there then it would seem something is wrong with the radio internally. Some radios have a fuse inside and you could check and see if it is ok. If you need another radio you could try a salvage yard if you want to replace it with the same model. Crutchfield.com has a good line of new systems.

The sender unit in the fuel tank is the cause for most of those type of problems but if may be just a faulty wire connection to it also.

Welcome to the forum.

I would test for power at the back of the radio with a test light. If you have power there then it would seem something is wrong with the radio internally. Some radios have a fuse inside and you could check and see if it is ok. If you need another radio you could try a salvage yard if you want to replace it with the same model. Crutchfield.com has a good line of new systems.

The sender unit in the fuel tank is the cause for most of those type of problems but if may be just a faulty wire connection to it also.

Thank you Glen!

I will give it a try. I did find the wiring diagram online so I know alittle better about what is where. My daughter is a music lover and wants to listen to music when she drives. I am making her pay for her "new" stereo herself so I'd like to fix the radio at least......and the fuel gauge. I can picture her running out of fuel if not-

Thanks again so much!

Tia