Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replacement WITHOUT a cherry-picker

85 GL wagon, 4WD, ea82. Rusty.

Yep, I'm doing this the old fashioned way. Now that I've got all the bolts (4 + 1 from the air conditioning component that was bolted to it) from the bell-housing out, I've been trying to separate the bell-housing from the block. It doesn't want to budge. Not being a mechanic...no, not even close, I'm not sure what to do next. Preferrably, people remove the engine to replace the clutch, but I'm using what I've got on hand. Any tips? I've been able to pry it about an inch or so away from the block, but now it just seems stuck. Help!

the motor mounts are located under the engine, did you remove the pitch stop from the bellhousing? Also, did you drop the tranny? if you drop the driveline(if you have 4WD) and unbolt tranny, and crossmember shouldnt you be able to lower tranny with tranny crossmember and tranny in a package, then you should be able to unbolt bellhousing from motor, and come to think of it you dont really have to remove bellhousing in order to gain access to the clutch/pressure plate/flywheel assembly. now i am just rambling.

~Josh~

1. take the oil pan skid plate off and raidator out, unhook heater core lines

2. disconnect the exhaust - 4 14 mm nuts

3. Look back about 4 to 6 inches from where the exhaust bolts where, there is the cross member. look around on the parts where it slants up, there is two 14 mm nuts (one on each side of the block.

4. take a floor jack, lift the engine up by the oil pan (put a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan) jack it up 2 or 3 inches.

5. now grab the engine by the oil fill pipe and the valve cover on the other side of the engine and pull forward. The engine should slide right away from the tranny.

6. change clutch

7. do steps 5 through 1 to install