Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fan clutch question

I've been putting together my kids t-coupe after she wrecked it and found out that only turbos, EA81 that is, had fan clutches. I also read that a few of you had removed the fan clutch to gain HP or changed to electric. Well the wreck toasted the t-coupes fan clutch and I've had it on the road for only a short bit with no fan clutch and no issues. Should I just leave it where its at or should I install electric or locate a new fan clutch and put it back to the way it was.

The mechanical fan only serves to cool the engine when idling. If you are no experiencing overheating probs, then the fan probably isn't necissary. The mech. fan is only really needed when the outside temperature is hot, or if the car idles for long periods.

I just recently removed my main fan while debugging a problem...

I've noticed that the needle goes a little higher than it did before, even though it's usually well below freezing here.

Before too long I plan on either swapping in a dual core rad I have, or adding another electric fan to it.

However, if you're not having overheating problems, I'd say stick with what you have.

The thing is will she remember to keep an eye on the temp gauge if caught in traffic. You are taking alot of chances here, I would go electric as that is what all newer models are. My 87 Brat had twin electric fans from the factory and when changing the oil one day I bumped the one on the left w/ the oil filter wrench causing the fan blade to catch on it and not spin. One day noticed the left fan not working and pulled both off and installed a Hayden 14-inch S blade fan that cools the Brat just as good. Only after I had gone through all this trouble did I realize the problem w/ the second fan, bent shroud out hooked it up w/ alligator clips and it run, oh well the Hayden was a spare that I had. I would probably get a Flexalite wet probe controller and one 14-inch S blade fan if I was you. Three of the mounting points on the fan went into factory holes, the fourth I just used a heavy duty tywrap. I have one more 14-inch Hayden and a Flexalite controller I would sell and still have the pair of factory fans that came off of my 87 if you are interested. You can email me at fgt72360@yahoo.com.

Well the good thing is Bratman, that I'm the one thats going to be driving the t-coupe now. We got our daughter a different car, so I'll be watching the gauge especially now that my new digidash from Turbone is working. It sound like for now I might be ok since I live in a winter climate, I will be looking into electric before long though, I like to keep the HP gain if there is any and then I'll just run a switch when needed for the summers heat. Thanks for the input.

The thing is will she remember to keep an eye on the temp gauge if caught in traffic..
But he's in Cheyenne. Theres no traffic in Cheyenne. Just rocks, barbed wire, and last years snow that hasnt melted and is still blowing around. :rolleyes: :-p

Heh.. I need to get back out there again. :)

Personally, although its the Floridian in me talking, I'd still set it up with either a replacement clutch, or an electric fan right away. You never know what could happen.. like you run into Wendys for a spicy chicken thinking you'll be out fast enough, but the people inside are slower than expected.. or any number of other things. Its just an extra safety net to be sure you wont blow up. However, short term, you can run without... since its so bleedin cold up there. Just make sure you've got room to "run out" and cool that puppy down if you're stopped for any period of time.

I've gone all electric fans and never looked back. I only run one but two would be good :)

The ONLY time I REQUIRED a motor driven fan was on my old 472ci engine. Electric fans just couldnt keep it cool; even with a huge 3 row radiator and 2 huge electric fans.