Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake for a 98 outback sport? also, help me understand...

There are lots of upgrades for the newer subarus out there. Some are more expensive than others though. Cobb Tuning has a decent selection of upgrades for your car http://www.cobbtuning.com/main.html , but be prepared to throw down some $$ for it. Just do a google search and you should be able to find the parts you're looking for without too much trouble. Or there is the good old K&N filter which is easy enough to find. I believe they make intakes as well. For my car, I just cut a hole in the side of the filter box for more flow, and dropped in a K&N panel filter. Didnt feel like messing with an aftermarket intake.

how much of this stuff would fit my car?

http://www.andysautosport.com/models.php?make=Subaru&id=Su95Imprez

do most impreza things fit on an OBS? i still don't understand how it works and why they had to make it an impreza or an outback. they should have made it something completely different. what exactly is the difference between my car and the same year impreza or same year outback? is it just the body style? its all so confusing and i'm new to subarus.

Swapping out the stock plumbing for a shorty ram will cost you torque below 3500 RPM, and won't add any appreciable flow up top unless you combine it with some cam, headwork, & exhaust flow mods. Also the shorty will draw in hot engine bay air. It WILL give you a loud WOT intake honk tho.

An effective trick is to take air in from the fender well while keeping the stock intake (silencers and all). Just remove the scoop that draws air from behind the headlight, and use a regular worm-screw clamp to attach a short piece (5" length) of aluminum dryer vent that curves right out to hole in the fender well.

I've done it on both my Imprezas. Simple, elegant. Cost: $2 for each car. Line the rim of the fender hole with a piece of silicone tubing to eliminate your intake from rattling in the hole.

i may give that a try. i need to get a K&N filter I guess, I've been using a 3" filter that i just hooked onto my MAF witha little adaptor. Really though< I wouldnt mind the sound of the intake (kind of why i want it, the winding of the engine annoys me more and more) I just need to get around the MAF problem. maybe i'll just have to take the ****ty intake I have to a shop and have them do a bit of work to make it fit.

Have a good look at this before deciding on a K&N: http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

IMO, you won't beat an OEM Subaru air filter.

As far as which accessories fit and which don't, always e-mail that question to the vendor that you wish to purchase from, then save the response.

Do a search on "subaru snorkelectomy" to get some ideas on how to straighten the intake path and make some noise. That was popular for a while.

Blitz, there is no doubt that a paper filter will stop smaller particles. No argument there.

However, that test you posted a link to is NOT objective. Why do they need to exagerate the filter efficiency differences by fiddling with the y-axis on the first two graphs? If the scale started at 0, you would notice that the differences are not that large.

The test is trying to make a specific point. It is not trying to be objective - despite the claims in the text.

The data is presented as cold, hard numbers at the bottom of the page with no "axis shifts" to distract you.

Anyone that claims to NOT have an agenda is lying. Here's a quote from the person who put the test together:

"I will see someone question my motives and bias but they will not direct their attacks directly at me. Most seem to be the guy who has had K&N since 1968 and "no problems". As I stated before, "the PROBLEM is you spent a lot of ching on a filter that not only DID NOT increase your horsepower, it also let in a lot of dirt while doing it!"

"I wish someone would file a lawsuit against K&N for their marketing lies. I see it as NO DIFFERENT from the marketing lies by Slick 50 and others. Slick 50 was sued and lost. Unbelievably the crap is still on the shelves!"

"Ironically, my original "whistle blowing" was a challenge to the FOAM FILTER manufacturers. The claims seemed too good to be true. Some at dieselplace.com were getting dirt in the intake tube using a UNI foam filter. The so-called experts on the forums were selling these things like hotcakes because they were respected individuals and people believed what they were being told. However, when they and the manufacturers were asked to produce the data to back up a claim like "no filter in the world filters dirt better than oiled foam" they refused to show it! Why would you keep data that proves your filter is the best in the world a secret? Maybe because it is a LIE! OOOps, used the "L" word!"

"Anyway, my ultimate motive was that I hate seeing hard working stiffs like us get suckered out of our money. We are told it is the "best protection for our vehicles". We hand over our money to thieves and liars, throw away our perfectly good paper filter in the trash, and then proceed to trash our engines. I know, engines run for a long time with K&N. However, I doubt the increase of silica in the engines diet is responsible."

Here's the entire thread on BITOG: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000308

Duh! K&N....but if you think that is why I am being defensive, you are mistaken :-)

There is no doubt that it doesn't filter quite as well as paper. However, the difference is marginal and does not compromise engine longevity. Especially if the engine has it's oil and oil-filter replaced at the correct intervals.

It IS cheaper in the long run. At least for me, since I live in my home country: Denmark. I paid roughly $100 for my K&N panel. A genuine Subaru filter costs around $45. With my mileage of over 25k a year, it doesn't take long to earn back the added cost of the K&N - filter cleaning kit costs $20.

I have absolutely zero data to either support or refute the test results, therefore I remain open-minded.

Several years back, there was a similar test done by a private individual (albeit, much lower budget), that similarly showed foam and gauze allowing more dirt in. For some odd reason, it doesn't make me violently angry to come to terms with that.

In my mind, it makes perfect sense that any filter that shows large visible holes in it's media when held up to a light source, is gonna let more stuff through (it'll flow better).

Other than by some electrostatic process, I can't think of any other way to achieve lower restriction while maintaining the same level of filtration other than by increasing the square area of the media.

To get the thread back on track.

1998 Outback Sport,(OBS) is basically the same as a regular impreza with more ground clearance. Most of the parts for the Imprezas and the Impreza RS from model year 1997 to 2001 should fit. I have a 2000 OBS and 20mm rear sway bars from an RS fit, so did my Front strut bar. As long it is for the GC8 chassis is should be ok. The car from the drivers area to the front are pretty much identical. The wagon portion is what makes it difference. So rear strut bars will not work, they have to be wagon specific.

A good upgrade for the OBS is to swap the rear drums for RS disks and change the front 1 pot brakes for a set of RS 2 pot brakes. Certain parts from 2002-up WRX's will also swap in. Wheels, struts, engine, tranny, rear differential.

Obviously WRX body parts will not work b/c of the different body style.

I have cat back exhaust, 20 mm sway bar, front strut bar, 2002 WRX wheels and it handles great on and off road.

Welcome to the board.

BW

ps. 400 posts... :banana: