Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New engine in Brat, won't start

The Brat was leaking/burning oil so I decided to purchase a new ea81 from Colorado Component Rebuilders. I have the new engine installed now, but it will not start. I primed the engine, built up oil pressure. After that I connected the spark plugs. The engine turns over but does not try to start at all. It intermittently puffs white smoke out of the carburetor, and thats about it.

I disconnected the fuel line to verify I was getting fuel.

I disconnected the plug wires to verify I was getting spark.

I used this diagram to to wire the distributor and plugs. This is correct for the distributor on a 82 Brat, I assume.

Distributor Wiring

My one concern: I have a couple of electircal plugs (probably somthing to do with emissions) that were not labled when I took the engine out of the car. Is it possible that if I failed to hook up these up correctly that the engine would not start at all?

did you move your old disty over to the new engine? if so, it could be off a tooth or so.....

Yes, I moved the old distributor over. Perhaps it is not aligned properly. I will check that this evening. That is one thing I did not double check.

Double check your distributor and firing order. Could be 180* out and/or have a botched firing order.

With the passenger side valve cover off, rotate the engine until both valves on #1 cylinder are closed (you'll be able to wiggle both rocker arms with your hands) and install distributor with rotor pointed toward #1.

This shouold be a good static timing to get you up and going...

Good luck.

here's an easier way to get it timed...

1. Pull disty out entirely.

2. Pull #1 sparkplug out and then thread back in one or two threads.

3. By using a breakerbar and a 22mm socket, slowly turn the motor over by hand. You'll start to hear compression build up and be shot out of the small leaks made by the loose sparkplug. Right as the compression stops, look at the timing marks through the hole in the bellhousing. If the compression stops and you see the marks, then just put it in 7 deg BTDC, if not, then comtinue around until you hear compression again and watch for the marks to come up as the compression stops.

4. Line up the rotor on the disty so when it drops in, it lines up where the #1 sparkplug wire will go on the cap.

I found this to be the easiest way to static time my '78 Brat when I swapped an electonic disty into it from a '83-newer EA81.