Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trasmission/engine life of the SVX

I know I've got another thread below but I just wanted to get a fresh start:).

Does anyone know the average lifespan (in miles) of a '92 SVX engine and tranny. Just to let all that don't know, well, know, I'm hoping to purchase a 92 SVX LsL with 191K on it. I belive it's all original but I could be mad wrong.

My point, could anyone give me a rough estimate on how many miles an original engine and transmission last in a 92 SVX LsL if it were serviced regularly and was kept in average shape by a dedicated driver. Thanks everyone!:)

(Is 200K really just breaking it in Kingblob? Or where you being a little exageratory? Is that a word? well, you know what I mean;))

I'm definitly not an expert with the SVX spacificily, but with most Subarus with regular maintaince the engines often make it well above 200k miles. The trans may be getting near the end of its life but then again it could make it to 300k too(though i belive you mentioned a new touque conv. so their may have been a trans rebuild in there too especialy for $950. If you look at peoples sigs on the board you'll see pleanty of people with over 200k on their cars. But you also have to keep in mind that at a milage like that large and expensive repairs have to be expected even on the most reliable of cars. Logicaly if you are low on cash you can find a lower milage subaru for the same pride and it will be cheaper to maintain but if you love this car who cares about logic, just keep a few houndrad dollars around for when things go wrong and just keep in mind what a good deal you got on the car if you do have to put some money into it.

<<My point, could anyone give me a rough estimate on how many miles an original engine and transmission last in a 92 SVX LsL if it were serviced regularly and was kept in average shape by a dedicated driver.>>

This all depends on how the person serviced and took care of the car. I know of some SVX's that have 130,000 miles plus, with original trannys. I know of a few that have re-builds put in them every 30,000 miles. The most important thing is who works on you car and what credentials they have along with routine maintence by the owner.

Wow! Thanks guys! This helps out a ton, I've been trying to find an answer to that question everywhere and I got it here in a matter of minutes! Thanks a load you guys! I'm really gonna enjoy my new Subaru:).

Now that you mention the tranny re-build, the guy did say that it was serviced not too long ago, conidering the fact that to torque converter is brand new that could definitely be why the cost was so much! This is nuts! I can't wait to sit in that drivers seat^_^. I really hope I can convince my parents that it's an amazing find and buy! Thanks again you guys! I'll give everyone a report when I take it for a test drive!:)