Ultimate Subaru Message Board

(Yes I know this doesn't belong in this forum, but I felt the old-skoolers would have rebuilt more motors than the new school crowd. Mods, feel free to move if you disagree)

Anywho, I'm about to tear into a high-mile EJ22 for a rebuild. What will make this easier? Any repair manuals I should buy? Any recommendations for a good solevent? What can I do for a bit more power? When I'm done, I'd like as much beans as a EJ25. Possible?

Thanks in advance,

James

When you mark your pistons don't use a punch. Masking tape works just fine.

Piston pins were a real pain in the but. Not sure how they are on the newer motors. Had to improvize a tool. 2 feet of all thread with two nuts on one end (locked together), hook the nuts on the far side of piston pin and yank the pin out. You'll see what I am talking about when you tear into it.

Big freezer bags work real good for keeping everything organized, oh and felt tip markers (sharpies).

Take your time and yes the manuel will help a lot. Carb cleaner will work just fine to clean parts. Good luck

You dont have to pull the wrist pins out on an ej motor. You can pound them out from the opposite side.

No s***? How does that work?

Did you get a factory service manual? It's the ONLY way to go when delving this deep into an engine.

For hi-po parts, check out cobbtuning.com. You might consider getting the pistons coated. For info on that, check out the thread in the old gen forum called "EA82 Rebuild Digest." A guy from Fairbanks recently did his EA82 and found a place that does coatings for pretty reasonable prices.